I Forge Iron

Name that wrecked self contained

The die is not that large(probably about 125lb or less) so I’m not sure what the gross weight is for the entire package. Depends on how much of the sow block or whatever it’s called is below grade. I’d love to incorporate it into an old school trip hammer but there’s no way they’d risk the liability for the relatively small sum the stuff is worth.

Humphrey,

Its ironic how an industry that was capable of making all manner of useful tooling, orchestrating an unrivaled industrial revolution and winning two World Wars of gruesome proportion was in the end sold out by the next generation for its scrap value.  I'm reminded of the quote from the movie Wall Street, "greed is good", truly a sad commentary.

Peter

I once worked for an International Manfacturing Concern, engaged in the manufacture of Electrical Wire & Cable, ... that routinely bought out competitors, ... dismantled their Factories, ... and destroyed the Machinery.

Their rational for this, was that there was "too much" Global Manufacturing Capacity in that Industry, ... thus driving down prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a Bradley. The anvil on a Bradley has 3 flat sides blending into a half round on the side that mates with the hammer. Also, Bradleys use a double wedge system on the dies, not the single wedge system on the anvil in question. Most likely this was a Nazel or Chambursburg, though I'm sure there are other options to choose from.