Jump to content
I Forge Iron

Need help identifying a piece.

Recommended Posts

I don't know what it is, but I am imagining it as a gate stopper. If you drive or set the tapered end into the ground and the tenon was the same height as the bottom of the gate it could be used to stop it from swinging open too far, damaging the hinges. Not saying thats what it is, but it gave me ideas.  :)

-Crazy Ivan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No more calls, we have a winner! Bigfootnampa has it right, it is one of the fancier scythe anvils, also known as a dinglestock.


The side shelf is to hammer it into a stump, or knock it loose again, without damaging the true anvil face at the top. The scrolls are to keep it steady and from sinking too far on a rotten stump. Falci tools still makes a similar model today, but has a flat plate instead of the scrolls.post-114-0-46839600-1388743308_thumb.jpg

Do a google image search on denglestock, dinglestock, or scythe tools if you do not believe me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...