I Forge Iron

Belt Grinder use

tughill

If I had one, I could see myself using it just about every day. Thats next on my shop tools punch list. I can imagine it being very useful in getting a nice flat surface finish better the what I could do with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and its much faster then draw filing. Plus, beveling, polishing, sharpening tools evenly etc (all these can be done with other cheaper tools but its more a luxury in my book)

-Crazy Ivan

Tug,

I use the belt grinder regularly. Take down wooden handles to a more rectangular profile that I like to use. Dress all manner of tooling. Dress hammer faces that may have caught a few errant dings. Polishing and deburing. I use the platen and table to properly square long pieces. In our shop we have along and short table and the both see a lot of use. Either of the wheels can be positioned to radius or chamfer curved or flat surfaces. The speed varients (step pulleys or VFD) offer a lot of control on how fast or slow things happen. The uses are only limited to your imagination and available belts.

I built our 2x72 belt grinder in order to save a few bucks and it's turned out to be one of the most versatile tools in the shop. I used to clamp a portable belt sander to the bench, it worked but....it produced some scary moments with skined knuckles and pieces flying. You had to be very careful and obviously it had limitations.

Happy New Year,
Peter

I'm just a hobby smith but I use my bench mount belt grinder all the time.  Not a KMG type.   It works great for a lot of metal dressing, wooden handles and the things listed above.  If it broke this afternoon I would be off to the store to purchase a new one.  I can't imagine not having it.

Ken

I have the polar bear forge grinder in a box. I bought good quality wheels and motor. I run around 5000 feet per minet if I remember right. Pretty much as fast as the belts can handle. I buy 36 grit belts and take off metal as fast as possible. It would be nice to have variable speed. But it was a extra 500 for that.

I use this tool every day in the shop. I will ruff cut angles of forged parts with a angle grinder and true them up at belt grinder. Also very nice for cleaning up items that were torch cut or plasma cut buy hand. I dress tools frequently to.
I spent a little over 1000$ for it. I am pleased with the tool.

I think this tool needs to be set up with some type of dust removal system

I have a KMG and a Grizzly and another Grizzly on my surface grinder and three more Grizzlies set up with different buffing pads and compounds. Both grinders get used every day I work in the shop. Could not work without them after having them for a few years.

I, too, used to mount my belt sander in a vice to use sometimes. Then I bought 1 x 30 benchtop sander and I was hooked big-time. Do yourself a favor and get one in your shop.

Dave

Will see if the attachment makes the trip.  I built this grinder in likely 1994.  2x48.  Used for general work.  Norzon 80 grit.  Production work (15 years worth ) and general shop and rendezvous stuff.  I now also have a grizzly with a 3 speed tranny.  It is in the basement and is used for some tool and blade work (obviously 2x72 on it ).

post-25-0-37813800-1388544938_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-38294800-1388545286_thumb.jpg

I also have a 3x21 hand held Porter Cable that is used for sharpening stuff in the vise ( mower blades etc ) and it excels for wood or stuff too big to tote to the other grinders.  I also use flap wheels of various grits on the side grinders.

I use a Ellis 6000 2 1/2"x60" belt grinder. Great machine. I do a lot of fab work and this is the best machine for me. I have finished a few knifes on it and performed ok. A KMG style grinder is on my wish list for 2014!

I also have a 3x21 hand held Porter Cable that is used for sharpening stuff in the vise ( mower blades etc ) and it excels for wood or stuff too big to tote to the other grinders.  I also use flap wheels of various grits on the side grinders.

What a great idea.  Never ceases to amaze me the things smiths come up with. 

One thing not already mentioned is that a belt grinder works really nicely to cut smaller rod stock.  A 4" grinder with a cut off wheel is about as fast but the belt grinder's already set up and doesn't require a vice.  Plus it tends to throw the mess directly into my quench bucket which makes it cleaner too.

I use mine just about every time I'm forging.

Another thing is that slack belt grinding is really nice for curved pieces like axe heads.  It'd be very difficult to smoothly contour a convex and symmetrical piece any other way.

I've got a 2x72 Grizzly.

i use mine all the time, cleaning up burrs, tidy up a fish mouthed bar end, etc...

i find it easier to put a 90 degree end on a bar after cutting using a platen on the grinder.

also handy to sharpen/refinish knives, punches, hammer faces