I Forge Iron

Show me your acorn, platten tooling

This was originally posted by trinculo as part of another thread. I broke it off as an independent thread and stand alone subject.

I would love to see pictures of people tooling setups for platen tables.

Any tooling that is used on your acorn or platten to make life easier or get the job done. 

Greetings All,

I would love to show the tooling that I have developed for may acorn table BUTTT  ..  My big shop is totally snowed in  and I cant get to it for a while.. I will watch this thread and will post as soon as I can...  I wish you all well..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Greetings All / again,

I think this a great thread and am looking forward to input....  I have one I will try to explain...

A 4 foot long piece of 1 in pipe....    2   pieces of  1/4  by 1....   Drill a 5/16 hole  about 1/4 inch off center through both the 1/4 by 1...     Drill a hole through the end of the pipe so that the 1/4 by 1 strips are  hanging from the end.   They will have a natural weighed flip down...   Slide the assembly through a hole in your table flip it to lock in  and make a  mark...   Drill a 1/4 hole through the pipe so you can pin it with a rod at the top...  With a drop through and a quick flip the bottom parts lock so the assembly locks...  Slide the pin in to keep it held up....   Now you can slide a simple adjustable pipe clamp on the end and you have a nice clamping devise for gate welding and large objects...  Have fun  

Forge on and make beautiful things     Jim

Hope that you can get some pics soon Jim. I am about to meld the hossfeld and platen and would like to see your connection. I don't have too much special tooling for mine, a five by five that is a full six inches thick. I mostly use the dogs, big welding clamps, angle plates, and of course the mass.

Greetings Nuge,

I will get some pictures up as soon as I can.   My connection to my Hossfeld and Whitney angle machine are simple...  I use a strip of 4in angle bolted on the back with 2 ..  1 1/2 holes positioned so that I can drop 1 1/2 round pins through the edge hole  of the table...  I use shaft collars to limit the travel  for a stop...   Works super...    Did you understand my poor explanation of the drop in clamp system ???

I hope this helps

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim