I Forge Iron

AP Green 3600

JPH

Hello!!

OK does anyone know where I can get my hooks on a pail or two of AP Green 3600 High Alumina refractry furnace patch?? I cannot find anything up here in my area and the AP Green website is in Spanish so that isn't any help either.

I am doing a section on hamons in book 4 and I need some for that...(yes, this means I will be doing some Japanese style stuff for illustration purposes ONLY so no one get their hopes up)

Any help is appreciated...

Thank you all kindly...

JPH

John:

I already know about the Ellis opp, but he wants waaaay too much of my filthy lucre for what I need....$5.00 a a pint? I need a couple of buckets for the book photos and all...last time I bought it, the stuff was like $35.00 a 5 gallon pail....

THanks for the tip but there has got to be someplace cheaper than 5 a pint...

JPH

Howdy!!

OK I finally located some and got 4 pails comeing in and with shipping it came to well under a C note so I am happy. I am just too cheap to spend more than I have to. Thank you for the leads and I have them written down and filed for the next time I got to go hunt something like this up...

JPH

• 2 weeks later...

I actually picked up a 55 lbs of this from the anh refractories distributor location near the detroit metro airport. I called the number for that location from the site and they do distribute directly to consumers. They charged me $0.63 a lb, so about $35 for the bucket. Didnt have to pay any shipping, i travel alot for work so, next trip to the airport and i snagged some! This much will last me for a loooonnnnggg time, as i only do this as a hobby on weekends, of which the last few weekends have been able to escape me and i've had to work instead. Gonna have to go through that whole sore arm for a couple weeks thing when i get back into it...

Fred, Man I'm glad you posted that link, i've been struggling to find some ap greens or satanite to use for coating blades. I've been playing around with various pottery clay recipes from the net and cant get that stuff to stick to a blade. Some, most, or all blows off the blade when i quench, always some. Looking forward to trying some of this. I understand this stuff sticks good, i'm also going to try the wire wrapping that was recommended by Mr. Engnath.

I also gotta post some pics of what i've been up to, no finished blades yet but been forgin, scrapin, filing, quenchin, and polishin things a few different ways, trying to figure out which methods i wanna use.

Thanks again, and thanks for starting this thread JPH.

Wow, i just happened to pop over to the Mr. Engnath site again for a read and he even mentioned that you can get 50 lbs of ap greens #36 for about $35 bucks, that was written in 1997, so 10 years later it's still the same price.

Don't tell the anh folks... someone there didn't get the inflation memo... LOL

Howdy:

Yep ANH is where I got the mud...now all I need is some 1045/1050 and I am set to get the stuff ready for book 4...

Still looking for that 1045/50...geeze..why is it that when you NEED something you can't find it and when you have all you need that's all you find??

JPH