I Forge Iron

Jim "Radar" Brown dies

I got a call that Jim "Radar" Brown died Saturday night about 9:30.  He was at Quad State this year and was parked next to me.  He told me then that he had cancer and that the prognosis was not good.  He was trying to sell his mobile blacksmith shop.  He looked good and was his usual good natured self.  I expect that I will have more information within the next few days.  Nancy said that there will be a "celebration of Life".  It is to be a big party with bluegrass music, etc.  I will post further as I have more information.  I do have a phone # for anyone who wants to make contact.  PM me. 

Please pass this on to others who knew and respected this dear friend.

Brown Raymond Jim (Radar) Brown, born June 18, 1953 went to be with his Lord on December 14, 2013, Jim was a master blacksmith. He had worked at Fortin Ironworks and with Grove City's Century Village teaching the art of blacksmithing. His mission in life was to promote friendships and build relationships while creating a positive atmosphere for hands on learning.

Jim Brown originally designed and built a mobile forge which he took to arts events, historical reenactments, festivals and trade shows all over Ohio and the surrounding states. His wish was to continue his legacy through the Grove City Folk Art School. "See, it is I who created the Blacksmith; Who fans the coals into flame; And forges a weapon fit for its work" .

Jim Brown is survived by mother, Pat Brown-Bailey; sister, Dee Dee Knight; sister, Elizabeth Dixie Brown, DVM; aunt and uncle, Carolyn and George Young; and girlfriend, Nancy Collins. He leaves behind a loving family, nieces and nephews many close friends and many admirers. He was preceded in death by grandparents Clarence and Mary Forshey. Family will receive friends Sunday, December 22, 2013 from 2-4 p.m. to celebrate Jim's life at the Historical Village, 4185 Orders Rd., Grove City, Oh 43123.

Blacksmith: NOUN: One who is skilled with fire, hammer and anvil to form iron.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be directed to the Southwest Franklin County Historical Society, Inc., 3378 Park St., Suite B, Grove City OH 43123. Arrangements by GRAUMLICH FUNERAL HOME, 1351 S. High Street. To sign and view Jim's online book of memories please visit www.graumlichfuneralhome.com