I Forge Iron

Friction Folder WIP

2Tim215

I was asked by Scott to do a WIP on my friction folders. I have never done a WIP before so here goes. Hope it helps to explain what not do LOL

1_zpsf8a1689b.jpg

I have a template for the blade and handle that I cut out of 3mm perspex signage board - here I am only showing the handle template with the blade already ground to shape - I always cut a new handle template if the blade changes slightly coz the center pin hole can move - this way I can make sure the hole is where it must be before I cut the liner material.

3_zps35e0a51a.jpg

This shows the G10 liner with holes drilled having made sure that it all fits nicely on the template first. I always use the pre ground blade with the plastic handle template, never a blade template to do this coz when you mark the blade things can move.

2_zps233d5d0a.jpg

Liners have been drilled, slab has center hole drilled only.

4_zps32945843.jpg

Checking if it all fits in open position

5_zpsf3a223bc.jpg

Then closed position.

It's important to note here that it's good to check this with both liners in place to hold the pins in the vertical otherwise they will lean off to one side and this can trow you off.

6_zpsdbeb1b01.jpg

Now I get the liners and slab ready to drill the holes for the blind pins. On this one I haven't decided if it's going to have a solid back piece or just open with pins but the holes usually stay the same.

7_zpsc05cc4d1.jpg

Everything CLEARLY marked and ready to drill

8_zps76d2bece.jpg

Holes about to be drilled at only 1.5mm to 2mm deep

9_zps21b00cd4.jpg

Holes drilled - you will note that I haven't yet drilled the back hole for the thru pin - I do this last.

10_zpsdf3fdd74.jpg

Liners and slabs sanded true

11_zpsb9707a12.jpg

Checking if it all works as plannned

12_zps9f4a04a8.jpg

Final check before starting the blade grind. I will do a HT on it tomorrow and the grind and etch. You will note that I have changed from using a Corby rivet to one of those fancy fandogo tork pins. This was given to me by a friend after he showed me how to drill the center hole using a rivet drill bit - am going to have to buy one of those as they make life much easier and you end up with a much neater looking knife which makes for a happy client and this leads to more clients so you can pay the bills and so continues the cycle.

Will post the rest tomorrow evening and I hope this helps those of you that want to make your own.

Forgive my lack of understanding, but why the protrusion on the handle end of the blade? To me it would seem a cleaner blade, at least visually, to not have that piece sticking out when the blade is folded. But then I am in no way a blacksmith, let alone a bladesmith, so there might well be a reason to it.

A long time ago they didn't use springs.  The protrusion is the stop.  Since the only thing keeping the blade from swinging freely is friction, thus friction folder.  This style of knife really doesn't lend itself to being kept in the pocket, usually a belt sheath is used.  Done properly, they can be quite eligant.  Look forward to seeing this knife finished!

• 1 month later...