I Forge Iron

Middle school mask project out of copper

norrin_radd

My middle schooler had a social studies project to make a traditional African mask. As soon as he got the assignment he told me he wanted to forge it. Since we're both just beginning metal workers, I couldn't really figure out how to go about it so I came up with using copper. Bro inlaw does dozer work had come across a large squashed copper pan of some sort in a trash pile, so we cut a big piece out of it. Worked it cold with a ball-pein on various different "dies" that we found laying around. It was about a 50/50 job between me and him. He'd watch while I figured out how to do something on one side then he would do the other side. I thought it came out pretty good and it was a hit at school. We decided not to leave it there though, probably wouldn't have lasted a day. It was a good time out in the shop and we learned a lot. He is in to the whole bladesmith/armorer thing so this gave him some good experience with sheet metal. This is the first thing either of us has made out of copper.

Very nice. Family time is never wasted time.

It's great to see parents who are inspiring their kids to work with their hands. I wish more parents would make time to help their kids learn to make things and spend time in the shop with them. I clearly remember my father helping me build projects for school, or helping him work on cars or fix things around the house.

Thanks for the kind words.

I really like the school projects and I get very frustrated when I get the "oh yeah I have this project that I knew about a month ago and we could have done something really cool but its due tomorrow so now we have to throw some hunk of crap together so I can get a grade" sort of scenarios. :huh:  That's just kids though. This one was done in a timely manner so hopefully those days are over.

But yeah, raising kids takes a lot selflessness when it comes to time, but when its gone its gone. I'm just glad he's gotten into something we can both enjoy.

But yeah, raising kids takes a lot selflessness when it comes to time, but when its gone its gone. I'm just glad he's gotten into something we can both enjoy.

While my dad spent a lot of time with me doing things like Scouts,  I really regret he didn't have the time to do more things because he was in the military. I envy guys who'd go hunting with their dads or have big projects like cars they'd work on together on weekends etc. I think it's great you two have found something you both enjoy you can do together. While I think being a parent comes 1st especially at a younger age, it's really great to see people who are both friends as well as parents to their kids.