I Forge Iron

A big Montana hello.

sing_j_

I just realized I had never done one of these, uh I live in the heart of Montana born and raised. I work for my father as a drill hand we go for that clear gold, water, first time I did blacksmithing I was 14 and made a s hook and have always wanted to smith ever sense. Just turned 20 a few weeks ago and one day about 6 months ago rolled out of bed and decided I was finally going to build a forge and start blacksmithing. I've been smithing for about 3 months now off and on whenever I have coal to burn not a whole lot around my neck of the woods. Looking forward to growing and watching others skill grow on here. Anybody on here from Montana shoot me a message , more then willing to be an extra set of hands, frankly surprised that's not my middle name haha,

Happy smithing and forge on.

Coffee can works just fine but you won't be able to do much for bent or built up work. Eve a Fredric's cross has to be pretty small to fit a bean/coffee can forge. And if you make it larger you run out of burner so you find yourself building a propane burner. No reason NOT to go ahead on it, it's a gentle taste of having tools and equipment, no matter what you have something else will catch your eye, present itself or be necessary to do a job.

Shop space is another ever growing need thing, no matter how large your shop is, it's too small. I built a 30'x40' steel shop and it was getting crowded before I got the roof on. You can never have enough power outlets, ventilation, doors, lights, storage, bench space, compressed air. On and on.

Don't forget the tunes. Tunes are good.

Frosty The Lucky.

frosty I agree on the tunes part for sure haha I defiantly agree on the power outlets, ventilation, doors, etc. the shop i work in was built by my grandfather probably in the 60's and its stuffed with 4 generations worth of history and tools me being the 4th. and with the little can forge its not gonna be my main one at all what so ever! but I need something that is big enough that i can do smaller projects like key fobs yet small enough where its just small. and I'm to cheap to just buy a brand new forge.