I Forge Iron

Show me your Hand Forged Holiday Presents

Jim Coke

Greetings All,

It is that time of year when we are all busy making those special presents for our friends and family .  Lets see some pictures so we all can get some fresh ideas..   I have posted a few ..   A hanging paper tower holder that I designed years ago to have access to towels where you need them not across the room on the wall ..  I designed it this way because the previous one did not hold the paper to the roll and it would set off the alarm in my shop when the furnace came on and blew the towel.  The others ..  a simple but different flower vase ..   a holly candle stand...   I wish you all well..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim   

post-30666-0-99593900-1386378317_thumb.j

post-30666-0-50122100-1386378357_thumb.j

post-30666-0-53122600-1386378387_thumb.j

Gents,

Made this for a new home that is being completed in time for Christmas.

Colonial style door knocker/ 9 in LOA/ 3 in backplate/@5in bail/ blackened (hot) oil finish. Photos attached show pre assembly and finished.

Made several of these in slightly different configurations this year. This last one was the largest of the series. I found the larger the door the wider the back plate. Narrow does not balance well with a wide backdrop. Most of the others were for standard commercial raised panel christian style doors and I used 2.5 in backplates.

Merry Christmas.

Peter

post-3252-0-08362800-1386795678_thumb.jp

post-3252-0-06695200-1386795717_thumb.jp

post-9780-0-88620100-1388415410_thumb.jpHere's a few projects that I've done this Christmas.

These are a variation on the Frederick Christophe (or Christoper) cross.

The larger crosses are made from 3/8" square rod with the circle made from 1/4" square rod.   Here's how it's made: Slit the larger stock for the cross.  Forge weld the smaller stock into an appropriate diameter circle.  Unfold the cross long ways, slip the circle over the shorter arms and then open the smaller arms.  The right-most cross is my "proof-of-concept" piece, and my wife liked the unfinished look, so I kept this one around, but I'm showing it here mainly to give a hint as to how it's put together.  For most of the ones that I made as Christmas gifts I then forge  welded (or attempted to weld) the circle into the cross.  After that, I used the cross pein to spread the ends of the cross arms, then used a ball pein to dimple the surface all over.

The smaller cross uses 1/4" square rod stock for the cross and the circle is made from that nifty wire used in election signs (I harvest them every election) - it's a little bigger than 1/8".  Some of these I then welded like the larger crosses, but I liked them more in the small size as shown.  These were given as Christmas ornaments, with a slender red ribbon attached as a hanger loop.

post-9780-0-19999600-1388415852_thumb.jp

This gadget is what I call "the blacksmith's hotpad."  I was fooling around with a piece of #3 rebar I picked up from the junk left over at  my church from a construction project.  I made a push stick with hooks on the end to pull and push the oven racks when putting things into and out of the oven.  The hook is also useful to snag the lip of some pans, pulling it out far enough to get a good grip with a conventional hot-pad.  When I do demonstrations one of the common questions is "do you ever  get burned?" and my common answer is that I burn myself far more often in the kitchen than I ever do at the forge (which happens to be true).  Rebar has its own texture, which does interesting things when you twist it, so I twisted all of the models I made this year.

Greetings Alaxandr,

That's some gorgeous work..  I love to see work from other countries with a new spin on metal work...  I would like to see a closer picture of the detail..  Thank you for posting your work...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...