Glenn

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

Just because you can does not mean you should. You can recover from some injuries, but dead lasts a long time.

Not from an IFI conversation, but it applies here:

"Don't reinvent the wheel. Just send it down a different road." -- JHCC

Leave it to a blacksmith to use a 5 gallon plastic bucket as a ruler to measure the dimensions and weight of an anvil.

Glenn, I once had to research the width of the tire spacing on a Model T in order to estimate the dimensions of a long gone historical smithy from the one photograph of the building. It just happened to be in the background, and was not the subject. (I mean, really, who documents old buildings? Why would anyone want to know how big a barn or shed is, when we have this beautiful antebellum mansion? Weirdos!)

At sunrise, which I see more often than not. Sometimes because I got up before the sun, sometimes because I haven't gone to bed yet. Nakedanvil

If your table has open space on it, yer not working hard enough. Anvil

A well trained angle grinder can turn on you and will eat you alive.

"Why is it that people seem to never be able to afford the proper safety equipment; but always seem to be able to afford the ER (A&E in the UK) visit, the lost time and the pain from not using the proper safety equipment?"

I don't know about you but I'm invincible..... Until I find out I'm not.

That finding usually hurts. :)  

Pain is evolution's early warning system saying don't do THAT!

Frosty The Lucky.

“His answer as to why he became the success that many others didn't was always ‘at some point they stopped and I didn't’.” JHCC's father.

10 minutes ago, Glenn said:

“His answer as to why he became the success that many others didn't was always ‘at some point they stopped and I didn't’.” JHCC's father.

Tom Feelings, actually; father to my childhood friend Zamani. 

My own father, God love him, was not a success. 

"Oil is cheaper than iron." -- Francis Whitaker on the importance of machinery maintenance.

Iron dragon, that’s along the same vein of threatening a farrier, I know from personal experience The taught that goes threw your mind (and in my case all to often out my mouth is “can you kick harder than a mule?” Ponder that a moment. That sentiment has sent more than one roper sheepishly back to his truck. 

I wear a size 5 scare around my left shoulder and on my left forearm from a foolish confitation with a PMU Draft mare to remind me to respect the ladies. A divot in my calf to remind me to respect the little Mexican mules and I even got my eye socket broken by a little filly. Each time I got back up and finished the job at hand. 

“Son, don’t threaten me unless you can kick harder than a mule”...

On 13/02/2018 at 3:14 AM, Charles R. Stevens said:

“Son, don’t threaten me unless you can kick harder than a mule”...

My father that served in WW2 became famous for taking artillery to strategic positions on the back of mules at night. The americans called him "Il pazzo dei muli" that is the crazy mule driver. I never asked how come they use an italian nickname. When asked how he did it, he would say ... "Stay behind the artillery, in front of the mules and away from superior officers.