I Forge Iron

Thomas Powers Applied Anvil Acquisition Technique (TPAAAT)

Ok,

I was talking with my son last night, (This morning for you guys) and I told him we needed to look around for a bigger anvil. Not that we really need one, we have a very nice almost new london pattern that weighs between 90-100 lbs, but it would be nice to get something twice that weight or so. As I am talking to him, he is multitasking on the computer. (For those of you older than 28, do not try this at home. After age 28 Multitasking only leads to doing several things poorly at the same time.) Within moments, while I was chatting with him about the shop we are going to build, he says to me,"Dad, here's a 275 lbs Anvil and he wants $400 bucks, oh, and here is another one but it's only 160 lbs. and he doesn't say how much. Do you want me to call them?"

He was checking through the computer while talking to me. We live in Sarasota Fl, obviously a hotbed of smithing activity, and in a couple of minutes he found a couple of anvils, and then hardys, tongs, and two, TWO, hand cranked blowers. I still am somewhat amazed and mystified.

When I get back, I am going to apply the TPAAAT. May not have to go to the scrap yard after all!

best regards,

Albert

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does work. Bought my first 30lb anvil which looked like it was chewed on by a pack of anvil eating dogs. Then a Peter Wright that had the tail broken off. Then this Peter Wright. Paid $100. the numbers are 2 0 14 which I think is a 238lberpost-27712-0-21504900-1360121462_thumb.j

It does work. Bought my first 30lb anvil which looked like it was chewed on by a pack of anvil eating dogs. Then a Peter Wright that had the tail broken off. Then this Peter Wright. Paid $100. the numbers are 2 0 14 which I think is a 238lberattachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's a beautiful PW, and such an attractive price tag... 

Oddly enough my first anvil was not a result of the TPAAAT method though I was asking about them. I just lucked out and as soon as we walked into an antique shop a guy was asking about the shop buying his anvil (which confused the lady and she passed)...so we followed him out and negotiated to $60 for the 128lb oldie from my other posts/pics.

The second was a PW 97lb from buying a "smith shop" listed online....though I bought more random stuff than a specific smith shop.

3-5 were all TPAAAT results. Granted 3 came from a shop, when we entered I started out with "Do you have any anvils?" and one was uncovered from some junk piled on it(Brooks 163lb). 4 was from asking about anvils in a gun shop in the middle of nowhere we just happened to spot and while it took awhile to go back I got the 100lb HB (and still await a call to clear out an old milk barn that may have 1-2 more anvils). And 5 (350lb William Foster I think) came from posing on the online classifieds a wanted to buy anvil ad....though there was another I looked at first (200lb with no name), I knew about the "huge" one and didnt want to drop $400 on the 200lb just then in case the 350 was 700lb as stated. (I also have an email that gave me a number and name to call and ask about but need more money first).

I still ask everyone about anvils though and a consignment shop is supposed to try and get ahold of 3 he was offered recently...for $20 ea....I told him I could do a finders fee or would gladly more than double his money. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It does the trick! Found n bought a 128 lb William Foster dated 1848 for $125. Not a lot of "ring", but great rebound. I've been looking for 4 months on line and a lot of over priced cast iron is mostly what i found. I started asking random (Read: craftsmen not in metal working) people and got one. Now the William Foster was waiting for me in a Mom n Pop butcher shop just sitting in a corner. This morning ( not to jinx myself) my Brother called me with news of a friend's dad getting out of smithing after a short stint in it. This guy's dad just made the decision to sell this morning. The same time my bro showed my posted pick on the William Foster on FB. Out of the woodwork the steel wielding gods give their bounty. Prosit!

As Edison supposedly said when asked about how many times he tried to create a filament for a light bulb, he said it took 2000 tries, so he now knew 2000 ways NOT to make a filament. I know of at least 8 anvils that were Dad's or grandad's or been in the family for years, but as early posters said, keep at it. In the last month I got a nice 100# Mousehole Forge (that doesn't look used) for $130 and found another beat up 120 pound trenton (that i didn't buy because it was pretty beat up). I am sure that the users of the TPAAAT that have been doing it for years have probably turned up enough anvils to outfit all of us. To get to the 3 I have today, I have probably bought and sold 5 or 6 more.

I'm not in full on hunt mode yet. still haven't even gotten my forge pulled together, and I've got the materials, and plan for a decent rail track anvil in mind, but I will quietly persue leads in the off chance something falls into my lap that I just can't refuse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I happen to be one of the guys that works at a scrap yard! I have found numerous post vises, tongs, a coal forge and i think im up to four anvil a beautiful 142 pound Peter wright and my favorite colonial anvil that i keep on my fire place harth. Still waiting on a swage block! As much as i don't like my job some times it defiantly has its advantages!

Don't be surprised if the TPAAAT does not work immediately.  It did not work for me, even after many years.  I do have a whole bunch of funny stories.  One old guy wondered why I was so interested in anvils and not blacksmithing cuties.  Today, I forged in a shop that I am a resident in, even though I don't own the anvil.  I guess that is good enough.  Yesterday, I used my fabricated anvil.  I guess that is good enough.  After many years, I got a real anvil, but not by TPAAAT.  I never use it anyway.  In the 4 shops I work in, there is an anvil, even though it is not mine.  I guess that is good enough.  I will not pay the inflated price for the anvils on Craigslist.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to add my story to this thread. TPAAAT worked for me in a big way.

I had my first exposure to smithing two weeks ago, and after my initial three hour session I was hooked. The very next day I started asking around for anyone who might know of a place to look for an anvil. The second guy I asked told me he had an anvil he had gotten from an uncle's estate 15 years earlier. Said anvil was sitting unused in a corner of his garage. When I asked if he might consider parting with the anvil, he replied "sure, you can have it". My response was, well what would want for it? To my great surprise, he said "nothing, you can have it". He explained that if he ever needed anything made, he'd know where to find me.

At this point, I had no great expectations of age, size, or quality, but free is always good and appreciated. Well I finally got our schedules to coordinate and I picked up my precious tonight. It took two of us to drag it out of the garage and lift it into my truck. I couldn't make out any markings, but it was big, had flat surfaces, nice square corners, and a well shaped horn. Looks like this baby had very little, or very loving use over the years.

I got it home and cleaned it off just enough to make out the markings. Hay-Budden Manufacturing Co, Brooklyn NY and best of all, 200 (pounds). I just can't understand why the wife isn't as excited as I am.

Thank you Thomas Powers, the magic worked for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, my name is Renee and I'm an art student in the process of setting up my home shop. I got bit with the metal bug a couple of years ago by cold forging and casting aluminum and then took a blacksmithing class at the community college where I was studying. I am officially starting my TPAAAT here. :-)
I am actively looking for an anvil. Please contact me if you have one to sell, donate, etc. :-) Please and thank you.

There is a bunch of stuff for sale in Asheville, which is within 100 miles of you. Anvil PW, swage, vise, hammers, top tools, There are a couple of anvils in Johnson City.  And I live on the east coast but no where near Tenn. TPAAAT works but you have to use the technique to your advantage.

I've started using the TPAAAT method (Thanks, Mr. Powers!!!) recently and within just a few days I have a couple of solid leads to folow up on.  I work in a hospital and that gives me ample opportunities to talk to some of our older citizens.  I asked an elderly gent the other day if he knew of any one wanting to "get rid" of an old anvil.  He told me a "feller" came by the other day that had 3 for sale.  A nice 200lb'er for around $100 that looked like it was in really good shape.  Another man told me he did a lot of buying and selling for auctions, be he hadn't come across an anvil in a while.  I gave him my card anyway...just to be sure.  On my way to work tonight, I had a sudden "urge" to stop somewhere...anywhere that had a bathroom.  Since its Labor Day, the only store between my house and the hospital was closed.  There was a small auction building that happened to have some folks unloading stuff getting ready for tonight's auction.  Made the pit stop and talked to the owner of the auction place.  He said he got anvils in pretty regularly selling for about $1/lb. 

Don't forget the Hospital itself if it's old enough!  I once talked with a fellow who was an orthopedic smith during WWII  making custom braces and splints in a Columbus OH hospital---his old anvil was still there in a sub basement when I moved away (I talked with a janitor about it...)

Right place Right time and the right question will also work.  My son was having breakfast & talking with a local Farrier in the back of a country store in VT recently son asked farrier if he knew where he could get an anvil as he knew I wanted to use mine on the weekend. Local Farrier knew an old 84 yr old farrier selling everything.   

I'm told about 11pm that night they were unloading a truck load of equipment, gas forge, anvil, tongues and a 55 gal drum of used horse shoes, tools  and lord knows what else into my garage. 

Interesting that my first job at 10 was cranking the blower on a forge for this young farrier's grandfather at a local livery stables. 

Best part is my son now 44 has gotten the Smithing fever like me and we are about to build a new blacksmith shop just for smithing together.  (I think I'm paying but worth every penny/Dollar)  Word is out and everyone is on the  lookout for tools for us, helps to be in  a very small town. 

• 1 month later...

Is there a tpaaat guide? I would love to read this. I have been looking to acquire an anvil for some time now and even literally tore a barn apart looking for one. A friend of mine has an uncle who owns a farm and supposedly his grand father had a huge anvil well the barn had completely collapsed he told my friend if we were willing to take the barn apart and stack the wood and tin neatly we could have the anvil as payment needless to say he got a day of free labor because there was no such anvil

Is there a tpaaat guide? I would love to read this. I have been looking to acquire an anvil for some time now 

The closest thing to a TPAAAT Guide is this thread now some 75 posts long and still going strong. Start with post #1 and read what and how to apply the TPAAAT. Read the stories of what worked and what did hot work. Go at it full forge as the more you people you ask the better chance you have of finding the fellow that has, or known the fellow that has the anvil you are looking for. Then post your story to the list so others may learn from your experience.

• 2 weeks later...