I Forge Iron

Controlling hair dryer

ChiefCodeX

On 7/31/2020 at 2:20 PM, natkova said:

Just one question how much is dangerous air drawback?

Can it make blower to explode?

I'm not sure if I understand your question so please bear with me. By "blower" are you asking about a bellows like that beauty you're restoring? 

By air "drawback" I assume you mean gasses being drawn from the fire back into the bellows or blower. 

If so, I've heard stories of bellows exploding because smoke has flowed back into it and when a fresh blast of air raises the oxygen level in the smoke to a flammable mixture. I've heard stories but I don't know anybody who's had it happen.  I've seen small pops and poofs from under the fire pot and seen a little smoke blow out of a blower once.

If you mount the bellows higher than the fire pot and the valves are good I can't imagine enough flammable gasses accumulating in the bellows to ignite let alone damage it.

A blower can't contain an explosion so I think the worst would be a puff of flame.

Like I said I don't know if I understand your question so I'm guessing. If didn't get your question right  please clarify, we'll do our best.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to.open new topic , just to.ask

How you guys manage your blower /bellows tuyere  so it dont blow up your coal/charcoal.

I somehoe force first smaller parts next to.tuyere than after that larger pieces so my fuel dont go blown away from air source.

The force of the air jet is based on the size of the nozzle and the weight of the upper bellows board.  If the blast is too strong the easiest thing to change first is to remove excess weight from the upper bellows board. (You can even add a counter balance to it if needed). 

Using a larger diameter nozzle will decrease the pressure of the blast but requires rebuilding the bellows to fit it.

When building a bellows it's a good idea to make the upper bellows board fairly light as it's easier to add weight than to remove it.

The experience of having the gasses in a air input system to the forge ignite and poof, or pop are only minor.  When a volume of gasses ignites poof is more like a shotgun going off.  The explosion will find the path of least resistance for the amount of pressure created, which can be anything, to blowing the covers off the bellows or blowing a section of bellows loose.

I have used plastic dryer vent to move air from the hand cranked blower to the forge. That was a poof but the flame melted ALL the plastic off the reinforcing wire for the entire distance from the forge to the blower.  Imagine fire and then dripping flaming plastic for the entire length.  It can get your attention putting out the fire and then realizing you have no path for the air to get to the forge,  Read as end of the day and forge session.  I no longer recommend plastic dryer vents.