I Forge Iron

How many swordsmiths out there?

Wildernessmedic

sometimes over 100+ hours into a blade and get offered like Steve said a couple hundred dollars!   But I'm paying a women 2000$ to take pictures at my wedding and she was one of the cheaper ones!!!!!   sorry starting to rant

Crazy....I understand, that is ridiculous. If I ever get married again I think i'll just wear my GoPro on my head and call it good. Haha.

I saw that show . They referred to quenching as Tempering . I see lots of references to tempering in that context . Tempering is softening of the steel . It is a much different process . As most of you know well . It was entertaining though     James

• 4 weeks later...

Note on fullers in history... Kevin Cashen mentioned is his studies of early period pattern welded swords, the fuller from swords from the continent of Europe were mainly ground in, Insular ones from the British Isles often had the fuller forged in to conserve materials... Fullers on Japanese blades were scraped in.

The problem with most people is that they prefer a fiction they like to a reality they don't... Truth is not malleable just because people don't know or care...

• 2 weeks later...

I may well be wrong in this, but before modern bladesmithing, the whole heat treating process was referred to as 'tempering' before the science behind it all was uncovered and was broken down into the different processes such as annealing, hardening and tempering. I don't have a source for this, mind you, I believe I heard it from someone on here!

I may well be wrong in this, but before modern bladesmithing, the whole heat treating process was referred to as 'tempering' before the science behind it all was uncovered and was broken down into the different processes such as annealing, hardening and tempering. I don't have a source for this, mind you, I believe I heard it from someone on here!

That is true, but it is confusing to use archaic terms when we do have clear definitions of words to explain.  There is too much confusion alrleady without mis-using terms. 

In a forum all we have are words to convey what we are doing.  Add in the many language translation issues as well, and it could be a mess fast.  Some people want to use the term 'tempering' for everything, and then later get a failed heat treat because they kept tempering before the hardening.  Not always their fault they didnt know which operations people are talking about, when their sources mix lables. 

Ausforging was once called edge packing, but thats not an acurate term either, so it needs to go by the wayside also.