I Forge Iron

Breaking up coal

(Sorry if this would be better on another page or has already been discussed if it has I couldn't find it.) Not to long ago I bought some coal and the smallest pieces are about the size of a football, and the largest are about basketball size. But is there a way ya'll use to break it up effeciently, because my setup now it is laying down a tarp putting my anvil in the middle, and smashing about 20lbs and hour, then taking everything in the tarp and scooping it in a bucket. If anyone has any better ideas on how to go about breaking up coal please let me know.

-Thanks

When i have had large pieces of coal i just set them on top of the fire and they just split up by themselves, after they split  i use my poker or rake to break them up on my forge

given you have the space on your forge to set large pieces of coal on it.

Coal has a grain caused by being deposited in layers when it was formed. Turn it so the layers are vertical and whack it with the cross peen of your hammer, or the face of the hammer. It should split or fracture along the layers.

Put the lumps on the fire and when they get warm to hot they are easy to fracture.

Purchase nut coal the next time (grin). 

I bought 750lbs back around April or so,when i called the place for priceing the lady i spoke with give me a price for nut and a price for lump coal so i was assumeing by the name of the place that it was a coal minning place are something like that but when we get there it is a scrap metal slash waste disposal service that happens to have one big pile of coal around behind the office wich is mostly big lump coal and also had quite a nit of fines as well but they loaded me up she cut the price a little and i was just happy to have a good supply of coal.I done the same as you and spread a tarp out beside my shop and off loaded it onto that and pretty much jist bust it up as i need it,i went and purchased ine of those big metal trash cans with the idea of bustn it all up and filln up the big metal can but has yet to happen,every time i get it about quarter way full i end up bored with the coal bustn and excited to have more forgeing fuel and end up fireing up the forge before the can ever gets full....but anyway i always just find a way to get comfortable on top the pile with that can close by and ise one of the bigger lumps of coal as an anvil and do as Glenn suggested and turn the piece you are busting on its side so you strike along the seem and most tines it will bust apart pretty easily that way for a hammer i use a massons hammer it has the small square face and a flat chisel like cross section so its perfect for the coal bustn but im not sure there is any easy way to go about it other than to just get r done i normally grab a nice cold adult beverage to go along with the chore! Oh and remeber the safety glasses those little flyn piece of coal will put your eye out or at least a good little blood spot on the ole eyeball!

The coal buster my Dad made was constructed with a section of 8" pipe. The bottom had a foot welded to it, an opening just above the foot to scoop out the coal, and a plate welded above the opening that had holes to gauge the size of the coal. To bust it up, he dumped some lumps in the top, and used a car axle flange down so the wheel studs did the impacting. Worked like a charm.

Greetings Quack,

I assume you have an anvil ...  All you need now is a friendly road runner and a steep place... LOL   All kidding aside you could try the old cement mixer trick..  I have loaded them up with pea gravel and sand  and water tossed in some old rusty parts and they came out looking just fine..  I will bet it would bust up your big coal also..   Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim