I Forge Iron

Story behind your screen name?

Glenn

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped the monikers online years ago. I was the Terrible Troll before there was an internet. When my wife refers to my son and myself as Troll Junior and Troll Senior, she gets some funny looks. But it is shorter than calling us a couple of "No neck, knuckle dragging, caber tossing Neanderthals who intimidate others easily." Then they meet us. We are just regular guys. Well, 58 Regular is our suit size. The first guys you think of when you are moving big stuff. Actual quote. "Honey, get us a couple of 2x4s to go under the wood stove. John can carry the front, and the other four guys can get the other end."

John McPherson, Proprietor, Trollworks Forge. A subsidiary of Celtic Moon farm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like Biggundoctor, my "screen name" is taken from my eBay account. You really don't want to use your real name over there! Firefarm comes from two of the things i do outside of regular work, namely firefighting and farming. The 39 comes from our fire department numerical designator; 3900. If I were to do it over again, I would ust use my given name on IFI.

Dave Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Caius is short for Archaius, a character from a novel i wrote in high school. i just happen to enjoy the abbreviated version to the point where i use it as an alias here and there. my avatar is also the character portrait sketch i did while writing it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used several online identities in the past 18 years and most of them I still use in different situations, but Illmarinen is the Nordic Blacksmith Hero of legend. Creative, Intelligent and usually calm headed. Id hope to represent this as well so I took that. Philip Cornett is too long to type anyway.

• 9 years later...

Nodebt asked about a thread like this and I finally found it. So here is my story (and I'm stickin to it) Our business was named Iron Dragon Forge & Clay Works, before we retired it. The forum will only accept so many characters in the user name so it is as you see it. My real nick name is Randy.

100_0488.thumb.JPG.0eabb19cbf53310b9e8c316a1f628bbc.JPG

Mine goes back to a  Pulitzer prize winning book entitled "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole.  The main character writes this hilariously insulting letter which he addresses to "Mongoloid. esq".  This is playing on the British use of the term as a courtesy title, historically in reference to someone who's apprenticing to the higher station of knighthood.  Americans would typically interpret .esq to infer that the named person is a lawyer.  Hopefully "rockstar.esq" is sufficiently ridiculous that nobody takes the honorific seriously.

As a kid, I wanted become a rock and roll musician.  "Rockstar.esq" is a tongue in cheek way of saying that I'm apprenticed to my dream.  

• 1 month later...