I Forge Iron

Beginner, My first forge.

jaybird_91

Hi guys,

I have recently gotten into smithing, but it has always been a great interest of mine. I wanted to get y'alls opinion on my newly built brake drum forge. In the pic the forge is on the right and my 1826 Mouse-Hole anvil is on the left. The anvil is solid cast iron with a forge welded steel striking plate. I am also looking at different types of forging hammers and would greatly appreciate your opinions on what weight and style would be good for someone starting out. I know this is a lot of beginner stuff and probably doesnt belong here but I mainly want yalls opinions of my new forge.

Also, the other pics are of my first forged cooking irons, They're not the best in the world, but i thought it was pretty decent for my first time putting hammer to anvil.

Thanks,

Jaybird

post-47717-0-95418900-1383582492_thumb.j

post-47717-0-21086300-1383582580_thumb.j

post-47717-0-74584200-1383582584_thumb.j

post-47717-0-31994000-1383582588_thumb.j

post-47717-0-72678900-1383582592_thumb.j

sorry that i dont have a closer shot of the forge itself, but it is a very basic brake-drum forge. I will post more pics when i can take more of it. Do i need to restrict airflow when using drill stem for my piping?  Also, can someone tell me where a good, cheap blower i could use for this forge could be acquired.

Thanks,

Jaybird

hair dryer from the thrift store, or a $13 bathroom fan from a big box store.

The forge looks fine. as for restricting air flow, that is going to depend on the blower, and the fuel. I use a shop vac and don't restrict air flow so much as I vent it. I open the ash dump to reduce the amount of air that is going to the fire. play around a bit with different blowers and air speeds to see what you like. You can add a dimmer switch to most electric blowers to reduce the air speed/volume.

as for hammers, that's going to depend on you. what's comfortable for you and what you like. everyone is different. and with the hundreds of thousands of possible combinations with handles, shapes, sizes, weights, etc. it's really something you've got to fetter out yourself.

Note that Mousehole *NEVER* made a cast iron anvil.  That anvil has a tool steel (of that time) face and a real wrought iron body---which may mislead you as the spark when spark testing can be similar to cast iron.

Anyway I'd look for a *quiet* fan as smithing has enough obnoxiousness without a noisy fan thrown into it as well.

You don't mention your fuel---charcoal works quite well with homemade bellows.  Coal takes a bit more ooomph.