Jump to content
I Forge Iron

what I did on my summer vacation

Judson Yaggy

Recommended Posts

Very little blacksmithing content in this except that I make my own chisels and drawknives, but this little gem took up a large portion of my summer.  An open sided pavilion in the CCC style for a private estate in southern New York, 20'x32'.  Square rule layout for those who know what that is, I laid out all of the timbers and cut about 60% of it myself, the remaining 40% was done by a carpenter friend/coworker that I was teaching as we went.  


White pine, a -poor- choice for outdoor exposure to put it mildly but the architect wouldn't budge on the species.  That did let me find some BIG timbers for the  plates and ridge, 8"x12" by 32 feet, pretty big for east cost trees.  All housed mortice, tennon, and peg joinery, no steel except for the uplift brackets knife plated into the post bases.  





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...