I Forge Iron

Painting a hand crank blower

Trilliumforge

Hi folks,

I'm doing a clean up on my blower, a small one from Canadian Blower and Forge. I've repainted the outside, but I'm wondering if I should paint inside where the fan blade goes. I'm trying to give it some rust protection, as I mostly use it outside, and last time I took it out it got pretty rusty. I'm not going to paint inside where the gears are, but I'm wondering if there's any downside to painting in with the fan. I can imagine some of it chipping off, but then it would just blow out, so I don't see the harm. Any thoughts?

IMG_2750.jpg

Sean

I have a champion blower apart right now myself. I plan on painting everything except for inside the gearbox. I am hoping that a slick paint will not hold the soot that I have cleaned off the fan and blower housing. At least it will look pretty for a while.

I painted this one black with a high heat paint then went over that with a Merlot engine paint. the soot still collects but is easy to wipe off. I did not paint the inside of the fan housing, it seemed like a waste. On the barrel is one I am starting in green. When taking the crud off the fan it was previously painted so I figured why not

1397484_10151748969381819_1900204198_o.j

It may have been to protect it, but is sure does look nice.  Just gotta remember when painting, don't waste your time on anything that is likely to get hot.  I'm probably gonna go with something close to Farmall red when I get to painting my equipment.  Red makes it go faster :P.

@Bob: To each his own.  My opinion is that it is easier to clean paint, and preserve something that is painted, than it is to treat corrosion.  Corrosion can get out of control even in dry dusty southern California.  I've also had to perform corrosion control on said metal, and that's a lot more trouble and expense than a coat or two of paint.  My blower is pretty old as far as useable tools go, I want it to be useable as long as possible, with as little scavenging required as possible.  I don't want my housing rusting out before my well-oiled gears are stripped, and even then, I may just make new/scavenge old gears if the housing is still good.  Which makes another point, the more parts are still good on the piece of equipment, the fewer have to be replaced.  These tools may be considered vintage/antique, but they are a tool, and just by using them you are stripping them of vintage/antique value, and making them only as valueable as a hard to find used tool, so treat them like a tool, that means protecting them like your new tools.

I will concede though, that some things are pointless to paint.  I won't paint anything that will come into direct contact with fire or hot steel, that the paint won't stick to, that actually sees regular wear, or anywhere that I need to grip. The rest, if it rusts and is going to be around awhile, is fair game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...