I Forge Iron

Anyone have any idea what this is?

I picked this up in a junk store for the simple reason that I have never seen anything like it before.

It looks/feels solid steel to me, about 5 to 8 lbs... 4 inches tall, 5.5 inches wide at base and is perfectly round... I paid $7 for it.

Not sure what Ill use it for, maybe just a paperweight but it would be interesting to know what its actual purpose is.

post-47439-0-28467200-1382731905_thumb.j

Looks to me that if you had to make a lot of identical circles or even just bends on "J" hooks, you could use this to gauge accuracy. Or even use it as part of a home made bending jig. The longer you stare at it the more options will come to your mind.

Either way, you got a steel. Pun intended.

Nice find.

Mark

I doubt it's a press die, no relief. I'm betting it's a cut off from a turning.

It will make a handy thing for forming on, rings or curved flanges/lips.etc. Maybe shine it up and use it to keep drawings on the bench. I'd put it somewhere I could find it, something it's good for will occur, bet on it.

The bug's got you, you're already picking up likely looking steel.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's a jeweler's ring sizer.  With one of those, a jeweler is able to make rings and arc segments of a very specific size for bracelets, earrings and necklaces.  The top would also double as a small anvil.

You have Nailed it ! it is a Jewelers Bench top anvil for repairs of different items such as rings, bracelet, and such my wife's aunt is a jeweler and has one for just that .

Sam