I Forge Iron

Found a 7" post vise with a sliding front jaw

marcusb

Good things come to those that wait for sure. I have been looking for a larger vise since I started working metal, found several, but all were priced beyond what I could pay for one. Well, while on vacation I spotted a really run down barn with a lean that had piles of stuff all around. Sign said antiques and OPEN. I pulled the car over and went in. Place itself was fantastic, one of those places with antiques piled to the ceiling and narrow isles in between. Made my way to the back, found the tool room, nothing special, all old farm/woodworking tools. Around the back side I saw the vise laying on the floor. Couldnt find owner, so decided to leave and stop back, he caught us as we pulled away. I got out an asked him what he wanted for the leg vise. He said im keeping that for my basement. I said thats alot of vise to carry down the stairs and he realized we were talking about diffrent vises. Long story short, he made me a great deal, I didnt even ask for a lower price. Vise weighs 150 pounds as is, missing screw, box is present with VG threads inside. Jaws are 7" wide, and as you can see in the pics the front pivot can be adjusted in and out. What struck me on this vise is the attention to detail and qaulity of forging, such as end of spring, mount plate, leg, etc etc. I imagine this was not a cheap vise when new. I normally use vises as is, but this one is going to get painted up and a screw made for it, I think it will be well worth it. On the downside it does have a corner chipped out of jaw, im debating on leaving it, welding it up with mild rod or ? any thoughts would be great. Here are the pics.

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

You might find that chip useful in some situations.  I would just leave as is and get some heavy angle iron to use as vice jaw inserts for things that need a sharp corner. After all you are going to wind up pounding hot peices so to pretty of jaws just makes you to overcautious. Looks like a very promising one for a striking vise.  I like the look.  Too bad the screw is missing.  

Gorgeous vise!  I'd love to have something like that just because it's so unique.  And you're right about the quality of the forging.  I've never seen a vise with that level of forging in the simple parts.  Love the idea of a double gib key spread by a single wedge. That gives it a very classical look!

Definitely don't weld up what jaw.  The notch is man-made for a reason as the shoulder is just too square for it to have been a chip from an errant blow.  Who knows how that will come in handy down the road!

Can't wait to see her restored.  Hurry up!

Timothy you can braze on a new thread I can't remember where on the vast internet or magazine knowledge I have seen it being done. The 2 bars were rapped around a mandrel together and then seperated and brazed onto the respective parts.

not the same I was refering to but this has plenty of info .

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Timothy you can braze on a new thread I can't remember where on the vast internet or magazine knowledge I have seen it being done. The 2 bars were rapped around a mandrel together and then separated and brazed onto the respective parts.

not the same I was refering to but this has plenty of info .

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Yes I am aware of this option.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Looks like the threads in the screw box are brazed in so a repair as described above would be my best option.

I have a decent quanity of silver braze. 

To quote my wonderful wife "just what you need....another project"  

I have never herd of brazing on the male screw. Not that it is not possible, just very uncommon. I very much wonder how you will make the pattern. I re-brazed threads into a female box. When doing this I had the male screw to use as a template. I simply wrapped the new thread around the male screw until I had the right shape. Then inserted the thread into the box and brazed. It would be some kind of trick to use the female box as a form and to shape the thread inside it.

I have another vice that has a brazed box and some one in the past made a new screw for it! I guess the person was a good machinist. I just know the screw is new because of the shape of it and some of the little details in the turning.

It may be worth your time to call around to some machine shops and bring the vice and ask for a quote on cutting a new screw for you.