I Forge Iron

pics of my air hammer build in progress

Hey guys, here is a pic or two of my air hammer build.

I am still in progress but i will post more pics when i am done let me know if you see some problems as i do not have plans and

am building ad hoc.

thanks,

Below is the upright and the anvil, the upright is an I beam from a Lowes store i worked at, the anvil is welded from orderpicker forks (6 of em ) and is 6" x 6" x 36"

post-120-0-78741000-1381882350_thumb.jpg

This is the hammer, air cylinder assembly, I went with a bolt on assembly so that the throat hight could be changed depending on the hight of what i am working on.

post-120-0-85086000-1381882548_thumb.jpg

you cant see it but i welded two pieces of angle iron to the back of the hammer to act as a guide and I am using Umhw for the back spacing , it all seems to center up ok , hope it works out.

I am also going simple on the plumbing. i am using a foot operated 2 way / 5 port  valve to actuate the cylinder.

at rest it retracts and holds the hammer head. when depressed it pushes the hammer down.

thanks for looking!

what a chore this weekend... Bought a Nice amrok band saw, and had to load and move it by myself. at least 400 lbs. took it apart and brought it in piece by piece.

after that i put the guides on my hammer and mocked up the hammer head, it's temporarily put together i need to do some finish welding and bolt all the pieces up.

anyway here's the pictures,

post-120-0-96440500-1382303325_thumb.jpg

Here is the mock up  still need to bolt her together, you can see the cylinder and hammer all together

post-120-0-14070700-1382303347_thumb.jpg

front of hammer and nice view of slides/guides

Critiques welcome, if you see something i might need to address let me know :)

thanks for the invite!

this one is going to be simple, it's going to actuate when the foot peddle is pressed, and retract when you let off the pedal.

this way i can do just single hits, later on i may replumb for a traditional hammer but this way i only spend 30 bucks on the total plumbing.

the hammer head is going to be just under 100 lbs. I have plenty of room to grow, At 100 psi it can lift about 400 lbs. according to the math ;)

not counting friction from the guides of course.  I may take u up on taking a look at your hammer , do you have any pics to share?

regards,

Here are some pictures of my home brew hammer. The frame is a reclaimed bull reject pulled from a scrap yard in Asheville.  The rest is junkyard trail and error. The tup is about 110 lbs. I'm still working on the control mech although it can do single blow and cycles ~ 120 bpm.  I can't claim all the work on this. I purchased it from another smith who had welded the head and tup up and had a not so functional control system throttling the intake air. I  the replumbed and rebuilt the control system and added another 600lb or so to the base. I'm fortunate enough to have an Iron Kiss that is my main hammer, but it is very nice to have both hammers side by side with different dies. I often use both in the same heat. But make no mistake this frankenhammer is no match for the Iron Kiss in most regards.

post-15732-0-94744500-1382408274_thumb.j

post-15732-0-59584300-1382408297_thumb.j

post-15732-0-02410200-1382408314_thumb.j

post-15732-0-48705000-1382409445_thumb.j

I'll throw out some observations. Feel free to discard them at will. I built a new style Kinyon last year and have been smitten with its performance.
- The air cylinder looks too long, and too thin.
-Having the air cylinder above the ram leads to self destruction, broken welds, etc. Recommend you buy the plans for the new Kinyon. 30% more investment on a shackle and leaf spring will pay off for years to come.
- I feel you need a strongback on the backbone IBeam. something like 3/4 x4 flatbar on edge skip welded every 6 inches or so. As built, I feel your machine is going to be whippy where it shouldn't be.
I'll stop there, keep going, but standing on the shoulders of success works better than spending several years making others mistakes...
mike

Thanks for the Suggestions Mike,  I had thought of radial loads on the Cylinder rod but figured the guides would control any canting or binding. now that I re-evaluate it  you seem to have hit the nail on the head so to speak. I will have to take another look at the design in that regards.

as far as being whippy i do have some 3/4 x 6 bar if it needs it i will probably give your suggestion a try!

Again thanks for the suggestions I do appreciate them!

Trinculo, that is a cool looking hammer for sure, I wouldn't have thought to run the cylinder like that, I have never seen one like it. also what is the diameter of your anvil on that hammer?

thanks again!

Jody