I Forge Iron

Size comparisons in copper & bronze vs steel???

FieryFurnace

Dave ,

When you buy bronze you are often offered it in "hard, half hard or annealed". If your concern is the strength for say towel bars I would buy either the hard or half hard dependent upon length. That is if you only plan on forging the ends and leaving the rest as is. you could also finish forging cold to work harden and increase it's resistance to bending.

As for copper I'm not familiar with buying it in different tempers but suppose it may be offered that way. The issue with simply going larger on either material is that IE: would 1/2" round annealed be better than 3/8" round hard.

Hope this strange explanation helps.

Doc

Other considerations might be cost and working conditions.  Bronze I believe would cost a lot more and I have found bronze to be more temperamental and must be worked within a certain temperature range.  However, I do like the rich finished texture of bronze over steel.    

Dave, we need to know more about your intentions. On another list forging bronze is a pretty common topic and it can be a bear. copper is just plain fun only requiring annealing when it starts to stiffen up. Bronze can work harden in a couple blows though some is pretty malleable, I've never given it a try so I have no first hand opinion.

We don't know your concerns so can't have a valid opinion about upping the dimensions.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Dave,

I guess it would depend on design...   I know from experience that bronze does not like sharp bends...  Final finish is another factor....  The volume of the bar should not be a factor unless you plan on a lot of stock removal for the final product...  I suggest posting pictures of what you have forged in iron for a reference ...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Here are the pictures of my standard hardware. The hard bends could be softened. The dimple texture is done cold. The purpose of upsizing the stock would be strength. I just did not know if 3/8 round would be sufficient for this type of hardware. Especially the toilet paper holder which only mounts on one side and the bar is unsupported on the other side. The bath towel bar is 18-inches long but is screwed to the wall on each end. However, if I upsized the toilet paper holder stock I would need the other hardware to match.

So yes, my questions is a strength issue. If the toilet paper holder looks like the second picture and the bar extends 6-inches, and is unsupported on the end, is 3/8 copper or bronze sufficient for that?

DSC04784_zps5722e79e.jpg

DSC04783_zpsf9c3c34f.jpg

Dave, a roll of TP doesn't weigh much. I wouldn't change size for either of these applications, unless someone is using the towel bar as a chin-up bar.

LOL Yeah! My only concern was someone bumping into the toilet paper bar or something. I am probably a little over cautious and tend to over-engineer things sometimes though.

I have to disagree!  Even in steel I like to use heavier stock for that type paperholder... and I leave a LOT more meat on the wall.  Copper is WAY less stiff than steel... I think I would NOT use it for such a design at all!  I would do it in steel with a copper finish.  I have some bronze brushes that I can limn with... similar to a brass brush finish... though the bronze brushes transfer at much lower temps... and will heat patina very quickly.  Acrylic metallic colors and metal look waxes can also be options.  Copper plating is a good option as well.

That's been my thought for a few days now, it really doesn't matter much about the thickness of the rod itself (ok, don't use wire, but within reason) because the weakest point will be where the piece has been flattened and perforated for the screw holes to mount it to the wall. That's the thinnest and therefore the weakest point and will be where you will see the greatest deflection when stressed.

Edit: correct incorrect autocorrection...

Strength wise my concern would be someone using it to help sit or get up but if the TP holder isn't much longer than a roll folk aren't likely to use it for a grab bar.

That gets me thinking though, maybe a line of nice forged grab bars would be a marketable item?

Frosty The Lucky.