I Forge Iron

YAY!! Anvil and Blower Find

Mr. Powers, I could kiss your feet!  Well, not really, but I'll shake your hand and buy you a beer.

I've been throwing out "feelers" to anyone who might even look like they have or know of someone with an anvil.  My wife and I went over to an old feller's house that she's known all her life.  We went over to look at some fencing panels for our goats, horses and burro.  After deciding on a price per panel, I said, "I ask everyone this...you wouldn't happen to have an old anvil you want to get rid of, would ya?"  He said, yep...follow me.  We went down to his old barn and he showed me a Fulton anvil in decent shape.  Feels like its in the 125# range.  We talked a bit and he said, "Hey, there's an old hand crank blower over here...might want to take a look at it."

Sure enough, there it was.  Its locked up at the moment, and I didn't see a maker's name.  We haggled a bit and settled on $150 for both.  He threw in an old disc blade for free that I'll use as a base for a hoof stand.

I'll post pics of the Fulton and blower once I get them cleaned up a tad.  They've been kicking around that old barn for probably 30-40 years now.

Thanks guys.  I plan to cut a lob off of an old telephone pole for a stand as this one is way too tall.

Info on Fulton anvils from worthpoint listing of matchless antiques:

"FULTON" was a Sears & Robuck Trademark. Sears offered a Cast Steel anvil with the name FULTON on it between 1920-1923. The anvil was named after the street that ran in front of Sears main offices in Chicago, Illinois. Because Sears only sold these anvils for a short time, they are relitively scarce. Sears only sold the Fulton anvil, they did not manufacture it. It is now known that Fulton anvils were made by The Columbian Hardware Company, of Cleveland, Ohio, that sold Columbian anvils. According to Richard Postman's book, Anvils In America, "Cast steel anvils are made out of "open hearth" steel and were not produced in the United States until shortly after the start of the 20th century." There are few examples of later American made cast steel anvils found today. Fulton is one of these later types that can found today. Mr. Postman goes on to say that he considered it (fulton) to be a very good anvil. "Sears dropped this cast-steel anvil and went back to selling wrought-iron anvils in its place." Information credited to Anvils In America.