I Forge Iron

Show me what YOU found !!

Show me what YOU found in your area. Many times we find things that are a bit out of the ordinary, strange, weird, or you just look at and shake your head. We want to see it so we can look and shake out heads also.

post-1-0-67506800-1381313769.jpg

I will start with a couple of things I stumbled upon or across as the case may be. The first is a chain that was brought to the fellows shop to be repaired. The white thing on the chain is a sheet of paper folded in half for size reference. The links are about 4 inches in diameter.

post-1-0-68610600-1381313779.jpg

When I got up to leave I noticed the calipers he had behind the bench seat. The largest in the first box is a 12 inch micrometer. I would say he had a full set as some were being used.

We need to stop looking and see what is out there. Show us what you found while you were out and about.

Glen,

The "calipers " might actually be a set of micrometers. Big sets like that would have been found in machine shops that did marine work or other large industrial repairs. If you come across a complete set of brown or starett mics in their original wooden case they are worth a few bucks.

Happy hunting.

Peter

We see anchor chain every once and a while out here as it's used to clean out overgrown pasture---just drag a length between two dozers and it will uproot a lot of brush and small trees.

What I found that was "unusual" is a mooring cleat out here in the desert.  Close to 200# and no water deep enough to float that size a boat for about 100 miles and that a resevoir.  Found it at the local scrapyard got it as an armouring anvil.

Now the oddest re-purposing as a blacksmithing item I have seen has to be the missile nose cones sold as cone mandrels at Quad-State a bunch of years ago now.  Followed by the pharmaceutical punches---used to compress medicine into pills.  They were made from S-1 and a fellow brought a 5 gallon bucket or two of broken ones to sell at Q-S one year.  The slitting chisel for my screw press is made from one of them.

They used to draw drinking water from the river in town. A caisson is sti ll there. It's about 20' across. I was a little scared walking out to it. It's only visible when the water is really low, a cookout is planned for its next appearance.Screenshot_2012-10-06-00-38-35_zps96b601

when I picked up my coal from the supplier their truck scale was an old school manual balance scale. I took a picture at the time but must have deleted it. I was pretty impress. The guy said they get it certified every 6 month's or so. and usually doesn't need any adjustment to get it accurate.

Daniel, I'm just curious if that ax was on the rocks or in them.  Sometimes metal detector guys out treasure hunting will find things like that and set them on stumps and rocks so it won't trigger another dig.  To them it's junk to us it is treasure.  I've got a nice collection of cast offs (several axes) a friend who does it saved for me. 

The repair on those big chain links is done by preheating to 400* F and holding that temp while welding.

The weld is done with hard facing welding wire, .046 or 5/64 inches. It then post heated and held at 400* F for the proper length of time. Some of the cuts or grooves were 2 inches deep.

That is a lot of weld!

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of those gasoline lamps in all brass. I have used it a couple of times and it works, but the worry factor is kinda high.

I have my grandfathers. Makes a nice shop ornament; which is all they (steel, brass or otherwise) should be used for. They were dangerous when new which is why we have the gas torches we use today. Can you say "Molotov Cocktail" ? :)

I found this in the scrap hopper where I used to operate a CNC flame shape cutter. It was from a base plate for a power transmission pole. Engineering was experimenting on new bolt holes and the cutting operation there of. One of perhaps 6 or 8 IIRC. The experiment must have flopped as we never cut another one but the slugs sure were. They disappeared from the scrap hopper so fast my head was still spinning when I took this one to my truck :D Been trying to figue out a project for it but currently, another shop ornament....

DSCN0164.JPG