I Forge Iron

Heat treaters guide App

From an old fashioned guy who has no cell phone and had to look up the meaning of app. When I started learning about blacksmithing in the mid 1960's, I found a U.S. Government Printing Office booklet, 1966, that has helped me over the years, It is National Bureau of Standards Monograph 88, "Heat Treatment and Properties of Iron and Steel."  Admittedly, one must be circumspect in its use, because some material may be outdated, but it is surprising the amount of heat treatment info that can be applied to current steels on the market. It is on line free at Google, Books.

Frank, here is the book you mentioned online:  http://digicoll.manoa.hawaii.edu/techreports/PDF/NBS18.pdf

By the way, it was nice visiting the other day.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Mr. L. Jockey,

Thank you for running down the reference.

I have "bookmarked" that reference.

But is this publication still "in print". I would be happy to buy it. (sometimes Government printing offices hang on to unsold stock, hope hope).

Again, bully for you, thanks & have a great day.

p.s. reading on-line publications of book length, gives me eyestrain, it is hard to flip back & forth whilst reading the text. Each electronic repository has its own syntax & method of organization, necessitating special effort to acquire its idiosyncratic lay-out. YECCCH !!

And reading same in the bathtub is a recipe for electrocution.

etc. etc.

In other words,  it is a Royal pain in the lower affasn(eh)ris.

Regards to all.

SLAG.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/16/2017 at 5:57 PM, SLAG said:

But is this publication still "in print". I would be happy to buy it. 

It's the data from this book I'm pretty sure. It's available at all the standard on line places that deal in books. Google will find it,, and its expensive. 

"Heat Treater's Guide, Practices and Procedures for Irons and
Stteels, 2nd Edition, (1995), Materials Park, OH 44073"

Well I don't have a smart phone; but does it take in account the cross sectional area?  I know bladesmiths working from even the ASM handbooks have to make changes to recommendations based on the fact that they are not using the "standard" 1" cross section all the charts are based on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone else has tried the heat treaters companion app for their smart phone. I downloaded it and it seems pretty informative as to chemical composition, ideal forge temps both high and low, and proper heat treating sequences for different grades of steel. I forge mostly mild steel, some spring steel, and high carbon for knives (plus the occasional "mystery metal" that gets scrounged up from convenient roadside scrap heaps). If you've used this app, let me know if you've found it useful

I didnt get hostile.  I posted to the "read this first" thread, it explained a few things you seemed to have missed, including how to search IFI to get results.  Also I did point out you were not looking when you posted, it is the first thing at the top of this page.  You did not look or read at all for yourself, and to blame me wont help

since the developers improved it many years ago, they also improved the photo storage retrieval system to not work so well either.  they have caused  staff more trouble than I will list,  but for now we are stuck,  it isnt easy to transfer a forum this size to another platform