I Forge Iron

Club Meet Date, Location, Time ?

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Am I able to attend? I just started forging this summer. Been reworking stuff for a couple years. My focus is blades and will eventually focus on recreating historical pieces since that's my area of interest. I've studied museum collections around the nation and have a couple published essays and reviews. I also do talks at schools, university's and I've even done a presentation for the Air Force. My mentor in Anchorage is Chris Cushman of Penguin Arms but I'm always thirsty for as much knowledge as I can glean from people. I live in Peters Creek (Chugiak).

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many guys live within visiting distance.

I'd make a wise crack about your chances of making the October 4th. meeting right now but being the current pres of the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths I'll show some restraint.

Our net meeting is January 24th. and I believe it's at Pat Garley's studio in Palmer. I may have that wrong, if so I hope one of the guys jumps in with a correction. You're welcome to attend, no membership necessary except to participate in club business. Membership is $25.00/ annually. Meetings usually start around 9:00-9:30am and do club business after lunch. There're demos and anvil time, sort of open forge. There are usually 3 stations available unless something big is in the offing.

Frosty The Lucky.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I possess a time machine. But I'll mark the 25th down. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

You're going to mark the 25th down for the meeting on the 24th. eh? If you make the meeting I want to borrow your time machine, I'll be more than happy to neither confirm nor deny how I got so lucky in the market. Oh you are sooooo going to fit in here. I'll be looking forward to meeting you too, the more guys the better.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

It'll be good to see you again Mark. Missing meetings is a good way to get jobs you know. We elected you to demo but I'll have to ask Pat or Jim what you're demoing. Don't worry, we figured on making it worth your time and effort but we'll talk about it when you get time.

Did you see the E-mail about Gordon's accident? I'm planning on a safety talk about wire and buffing wheels. After a little memorial for Gordon.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello Frosty, Seems like I don't get on here much lately. I did see the mention of Gordon, I was a little shocked, but then we all need to be ready as we will all expire. If I don't find out the date, it won't matter much what you guys voted for me to do. I have a couple weekends in Jan. filled up as it is, I will be doing a wholesale show and the gun show in Wasilla. Normally the gun show is a waste of time, I expect I need to adjust my products for that show if I want it to be good for me.

I seem to sell about 1 knife at one of these shows, These are my regular knives, so maybe a less expensive option would work better, I think maybe I would do better with iron cook sets or such. There are nicer knives and much cheaper knives at these shows I seem to be in the middle, with I think pretty good value for the price. Also maybe I would do better with axes as there are not nearly the number of options especially hand made.

I haven't heard any more about Gordon's accident and don't really expect to. Karen's health isn't very good and all their family is there. Deb sent an E-mail to her but hasn't heard back. We're not going to pester her, she has enough on her mind.

The next meeting is at Pat's January 24th. Start time as usual. We're really hoping you can make it, we need a good demo.

Maybe Tristan will demo his mokume technique, he's getting pretty darned good at it.

Jer

That's right, the new edition is about ready to move out huh? Okay, as president I'll give you special pardon if you cut your attendance short or even miss the meeting. Of course if you were to bring Renee and the kids I'm sure they'd get treated like royalty.

Yeah Mark, I'm afraid knives are a hard sell here. I used to drink coffee with a couple knife makers, talking forging blades is how I got introduced to my thieving ex-associate. Anyway at that time, mid 80's to mid 90's Anchorage had the largest demographic of knife makers in America. I don't know about now but I know of several guys who make knives but not a profit. Mike out by Big Lake makes beautiful forged blades but can't break even. Most of the blades Gordon made here sold on the internet and got shipped outside.

I'm thinking camping gear might be marketable, the axe idea is certainly worth a try. You might try my pig tail roasting forks, they back pack and work well. Besides I owe you for the doffer. <grin> This might be a good subject to brainstorm at the meeting.

Frosty The Lucky.

I see the gun show is the 24-25. About what you might expect. I have been trying the animal head motif at these shows, it has not been working as well as I thought it would. the last one I was able to sell some hooks with tracks on them. Of course this does not mean much about what will sell at the next show. Thanks for the input Shane, I had not been making any specificly to hang guns. might do that and build a display to show it.