I Forge Iron

What kind of hand forged items sell?

Greetings all,

I am amassing a good pile of steel at the forge and I am needing some good inspiration as to what to do with it. I have often wondered since I started learning how to forge, what kind of forging projects are people really interested in and also, how do most of you sell your work? I already know about E-Bay, it almost seems to me that it is becoming a world wide online Flea market. If it isn't cheap, people don't seem to be interested. :( However, I have wondered if places like Etsy.com and craigslist are worth looking at as well? I should state while I am thinking about it that I am not trying to make a living at my forge. I am a welder for a living and I shoe horses on the side when I have the extra time. Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

I haven't sold or even tried to sell any of my forge work yet, but have sold other things. Your question seems too vague to get a direct answer. For one thing, you do not indicate where you are located. Location affects market. What may sell in Spanish Fort Alabama might not in Spokane Washington. It is a matter of the market tastes of the area. Or if you are solely looking at online sales, you could do searches based on completed sales to get an idea of what moves.

Just starting out, I would focus more on how to make things and not so much on who to sell them too. (That comes easily later!)

Hooks, plant hangers, bottle openers, simple hot dog/marshmallow forks ect. all use basic forging and twisting skills and are always popular.
Believe it or not, nails sell well too, especially around Christmas ( stockings look nicer mounted on a forged nail, and if you Google "the Christmas nail ornamant",  you'll find a little item that always sells)

Since you shoe horses, maybe a few hoof picks for customers...

Check out U-Tube for a video on " Blacksmith Hearts", the first one that comes up should be the one that I use. Easy to make and it really wows the crowd when you do the final moves to form the heart ( I would link the video but I don't know how with a iPad).
I prep the pieces at home so I can use my Mig welder instead of forge welding as the video shows. Two years ago at a county fair I couldn't make them fast enough! I did have to do some forge welding to finish the weekend.
I also have on table a couple of meat turners, long and short for selection, oh, and right and left handed styles!
I agree with Thomas and Jim above on the rest of the stock to carry.
Next month I have my last event of the season and I plan on carrying some stocking stuffer items like leaf key chains in steel and copper along with bottle openers and such.
Good Luck!!

Jake