I Forge Iron

Just ordered my small Induction Forge from Monster Metal

• 5 weeks later...

Picked up the induction forge from Larry. He had it all set up and running when I got there. We unhooked the water lines and home I went. Picked up a HF Propylene cart  and set it up. Will pick up a wall plug-end that matches my 220 outlets in the morning at Home Depot and fire it off!

Larry was a huge help and was super about explaining what I need to do AND not do. He made this completely painless and very simple.

Will post again after I have actually used it to do some work :)

Dave

would like to get one of these but am waiting to see when your is available Daniel, hoping it is soon

Same here.

Now that I think of it, I would really love to see someone do a side-by-side comparison. From what I've seen so far, I'm leaning toward Daniel's.

• 7 months later...

Have been using the new induction rig almost exclusively. Don't think I have fired either of m propane forges since I got the new induction set up and installed. I am NOT getting rid of the propane, just haven't needed either yet.

I am over the WOW factor and don't even think about it unless someone else mentions it.

It is now another too in my arsenal that gets used a LOT; Heat treating a knife takes less than 2 minutes. The temper still gets done multiple times in my toaster oven.

After getting familiar the new tool I went and spent three days with Geoff Keys, JS in Duval, WA, who gave me a cram course on forging blades plus a lot of other info. The forging process is easier and so much faster that there is almost no time for a breather while the material is reheating [reheats are WAY faster than the first heat.

I bought a couple dies from the KA75 web site to make tongs. The heater and the dies should make tongs much easier and faster.

I now spend 90 seconds to adjust tongs I am using so they fit the stock rather than using as is and dropping stuff.

I made about a dozen pieces of coin mokume.

I am tutoring a young fella to help him get started in blacksmithing and knife making. This week he did a few feathers and used the induction to heat the stock. He was still raving about how fast it was when he finished for the day. Next week s inside-out blacksmith crosses and the week after RRSpike knives and maybe a RRSpike mouse hawk. He has already done Roses and I think we have anither steel junkie.

The shop is more fun when you work instead of waiting for heat. There is WAY less scale [almost none].

I use the proper coolant for the tig cooler, but never let the shop get near freezing anyway [Pellet stove].

I still bump a coil once in a while and am still looking for some reasonably-priced coating/sleeving to prevent that. Haven't damaged anything but the machine short warning isn't very pleasant.

My work has improved and my learning curve has reduced. Again, working instead of waiting.

Using the induction is so routine now that I have only brushed the bare surface of it's use.

I have kept the propane, just in case, but I haven't needed it yet.

Just thought I would share my experience with the Induction Forge. I don't sell 'em or fix 'em or get any commissions. I just use my new tool and love it!

Dave.

wonderful machines !   and after a short while, you won't be able to do without one  

a big bonus is that you can forge in the middle of summer during the heat... and induction doesn't heat up your shop at all.. !

and when you get bored...   make some damascus with it

- the weld heats are very fast, and forgewelds are quick

-heres a blade i made with some teeth  ( all induction ...  with one of Larry's 15kw units )

20140528_175421_resized_zps11537d32.jpg

have fun

I use the unit I purchased from Larry more than propane, the efficiency increase is just incredible. I seem to make a lot of mortise and tenon joints. Being able to heat a 3 inch section of 1 inch square in the middle of a 4 foot long bar is sweet.

I make an item that uses about 4 foot of 1/4 inch round rolled up on a mandrel like a spring. I feed the material through a guide and long induction coil and then on to the rotating mandrel. It needs to roll up red hot to maintain its id size. I don't think I could make them any other way.

Windancer, I've shorted my unit out hundreds of times and it seems to be a non issue. 

I am blind in one eye. That means I have almost no depth perception. That means that if I use the closest-fitting coil for the best heat output to the work that I am constantly resetting due to shorts. Even though the machine has built-in safeguards I would much prefer avoiding the shorts completely.

One of the bigger companies overseas coats their coils with some kind of red 'stuff' that insulates the coils and eliminates the chance of shorts from touching the coils with the work. I have emailed them and am waiting for an answer to will they sell me some of the red 'stuff'. I will post again when I hear from them.

Gene Olson [the site he has set up and gotten off the ground is mettleworks.com] is now marketing the machines and is offering the same one year warranty. Gene is still testing insulation to try and find one that will hold up to the rapid heating/cooling that the coils go through. If Gene finds something that holds up I will post that here.

Yup- love the machine and all the work it does and REALLY like the almost heat-free shop.

Dave