I Forge Iron

Flexible handles on tools

GNJC,  I just got a chance to re-watch it last night and sure enough I'd remembered wrong.  Sorry for that!  He didn't really get into what problems he felt there were with ash.

The show is largely about traditional woodworking and the host in particular expresses more enthusiasm for the tools and methods of the 1600's than other time periods.  I have no idea what period the european axe he displayed was from his example of an American Axe pattern would be easily found on shop shelves today.

You're very much correct that Ash is commonly used for baseball bats.  I don't see it used much for tool handles here.

There is an ash tree in my backyard which shades my forge.

GNJC, I've seen oak handles on hammers. You will find them in areas with lots of oak trees and not many ash! 

I also have and use set tool with welded on steel handles. They are fine, just don't hold them in a death grip with the end deep in the root of your palm, but that is true of any set tool, I think.

Pertaining to flexible handles; there was an article, I think in Anvil Magazine, showing a method by which you drill a hole about an inch beneath where the hammer will sit on your handle, then saw down from the top of the handle, then you fit the head as normal. This is the axis cross-wise to that of the hammer head. I suppose the theory is that the sawn cut provides flex by the two sides sliding together somehow. I did it once. It worked fine, but haven't done it since, which probably speaks of the overall utility of the method. 

Rockstar, the show is the sort of thing I am keen on, it's just the man presenting it that doesn't work for me. There are differing tastes on each side of the Atlantic, someone more like 'Grandpa Walton' would work for me.

Thanks for that Dan, I'm in the Chilterns so we have ash all over the place, for now... a couple of decades might change that; I have a horrible feeling that we may see a loss on the scale of the elms. I'd not heard of oak being used, but the use of oak when all you have is oak makes sense, like the Scandinavian use of birch for just about everything. That written, welded handles on set tools - or any tools - doesn't appeal to me although I'm willing to admit it has a practical side to it.

Some time sooner or later - it's been a long search - we'll be moving and when we do I intend to plant some hickory trees as an experiment. I assume they can be coppiced like ash, hopefullly perfect for handles in a few years.

• 4 years later...

How very odd; out here they keep wanting to weld steel pipe or rebar into hammer heads to use as handles---makes my my joints ache just to see them.  (Also when I find an antique hammer head with lots of crude arc welding on it; fair to makes me cry!)

My brother used to own a small landscaping business and used a lot of day labour whose favorite trick was to break the pickaxe/sledge/XYZ handles so they couldn't do the tough job they were hired for.  I suggested he get the fiberglass handles with the extra handle protectors---his productivity went up and handle replacement costs went down.  I don't think some of his hires were happy though.

Yeah the welded on steel handles make my hands hurt looking at them too. 

These are a bit extreme tho. It would take a bit to get used to using something like that. Kind of like whipping a hammer head. 

• 4 weeks later...

this remind me of that time I used a bit of iron bark for a handle

or that time I made a temporary handle out of a plank of pine without a wedge

my arms haven't been more sore and the dent is still in the concrete.

me being stupid with handles hasn't permanently damaged me but has come close