I Forge Iron

My Intro

Fossil Forger

Hello Everybody, 

My name is Skylar i just recently became interested in blacksmithing/forging. I dont have a forge yet but am working to make one. I am also a fossil collector, I have fossils in a few museums and also own some singular fossils from the cretaceous period. I am from North Carolina, I volunteer at Moores Creek national park, and just recently took a workshop on blacksmithing there. 

Thats the best intro i can give of myself, If you have any questions feel free to ask, I look forward to learning alot on the forum.

Thanks, 

Skylar--

Welcome aboard Skylar, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Check out the various forge building sections here, bring a lunch and something to drink though, there's a lot there. A few things you'll find really helpful to determine before starting are: What do you want to make? What size and or shape? Do you have neighbors to annoy with smoke or fire safety concerns. Last but not least by far are exhaust fumes you do NOT want to breath. There are more of course but those are the biggies and not in that order, safety trumps all.

Frosty The Lucky.

I dont know what i am into yet, I am thing of just making a simple beginner forge to start of with. Thomas, If you are in TX you are surrounded by fossils, Eocene, cretaceous etc. Alot of amazing ammonites and echinoids come from texas. As far as that rock hammer, I would love to see pics! maybe he could make me one. 

Welcome Skylar!  I grew up in Austin, TX near Shoal Creek.  As kids we'd dig for shark's teeth and later right were we'd dig a plesiosaur was discovered.  Funny we'd walked all over it and never recognized it for what it was. 

http://missionmortgage.com/shoal-creek-plesiosaur-an-austin-gem

Thomas I'd like to see pics of the rock hammer as well.  From time to time I take my kids to the same spots I used to dig and teach them how to look for fossils.