I Forge Iron

Would you go bigger if you could?

Right now, I have a 150# Mousehole. It's plenty big enough for anything I may be ready and able to do in the farseeable future as a hobby smith. But I am thinking of trying to get one with better edges. In the meantime, one of my forklift tines I have been blessed to have been given works for a good square edge. I just have it setting on the ground and am using the 2" x 6" face on the top of it. Except for the height ( 26" iirc), it's fine.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are always some people who want to brag how much they paid for something.

I however spent my highschool years in New Jersey where everyone was bragging about how cheap they couldda gotten that for you---"I couldda got that for you wholesale!---My cousin has a friend who's uncle's wife's brother-in-law...."

That combined with grandparents that weathered the great depression has lead to my thrifty ways.

Yup. I'll brag! I paid £10.50 for my first anvil.

My first one was free but I don't care one bit to pay for an anvil if I have the money..If I had the extra money and didn't need another piece of equipment Id pay $2000 for an anvil but I wouldent put myself out for it..If I want something Ill get it, that's the only reason I need..

Well, Thomas, in 2011 I paid a lot more for a barely used 150 kilo Euroanvil than my ratty 1985 van that it was loaded into was worth on the tax record. But, since then I have traded up on rides: the 2000 'new' one only has 200K, but it got me to Quad State and back this year.   :) Laden with leg vises and a blowhorn stake on the way back home.

Mac, Mac, Mac; I gotta friend who's cousin could have talked them down to paying you to haul it off!...

Don't think I'd ever buy an anvil that cost more than the truck to haul it in did...

I got real lucky with that one. Paid £150 for my Peter wright, and £50 for a third anvil which I later sold on for £120.

All the best
Andy

• 1 month later...

This is one anvil that I am looking at to purchase. It's a Habermann style anvil at 462 lbs. New never used condition.
Something to get really excited about? Pic from an archive source, not actual one for sale. I'll get those pics later this week.
I've been on the hunt for a nice South German anvil with a side shelf and was wondering anyone had experience with one of these. I do not have $ figures yet, but the seller has been very fair on other dealings.post-35726-0-08927000-1384748105_thumb.j

I'd really like to get hold of an anvil in that pattern. I've actually been keeping an eye on the German ebay site just in case. But the larger ones go for a fairly high price and shipping would be a nightmare! 

Andy

from germany on a pallet about £80 to 100 I have had a few........the big ones are just a little rich for me (compared to our prices)

from germany on a pallet about £80 to 100 I have had a few........the big ones are just a little rich for me (compared to our prices)

Well that's not too shabby at all. 

I was eyeing up a few and like you say the larger ones do tend to go quite high. Several small ones at higher prices seemed to stick around so I suspect the market is fairly similar in that respect. 

I noticed a 5cwt English anvil went on ebay for £350 just the other day. Not a bad price really. 

When you say you have a few? I don't suppose you have a southern pattern with a side shelf and upsetting block at around 3cwt that you want shot of? ... :P I can but dream. 

Andy

a good source for double horned nice anvils, for good prices, could be the France. especially in the north-west, for you just across the water, and just below Belgium, there is an anvil rich area, it seems. I've seen many great anvils up to 150euros, in great shape. I wanted to buy one of those, a 250kg+, with upsetting block at 80 euros, in perfect shape (except some rust), but I didn't find someone to get there to pick it up in time and I lost it. I saw another one, in perfect condition, over 350kg for 150 euros... and so on...

just keep an eye to this: http://www.leboncoin.fr/annonces/offres/ile_de_france/occasions/?o=1&q=enclume

If i had the cash to spare, i would love to upgrade my 106 LB Mousehole to a 165-250 pounder but for now i can make due just fine with what i have. The larger working face and horn would definitely be nice and plus my Mousehole does not have a pritchel hole. I think that for me, anything larger then 300 pounds would not be practical.

a good source for double horned nice anvils, for good prices, could be the France. especially in the north-west, for you just across the water, and just below Belgium, there is an anvil rich area, it seems. I've seen many great anvils up to 150euros, in great shape. I wanted to buy one of those, a 250kg+, with upsetting block at 80 euros, in perfect shape (except some rust), but I didn't find someone to get there to pick it up in time and I lost it. I saw another one, in perfect condition, over 350kg for 150 euros... and so on...

just keep an eye to this: http://www.leboncoin.fr/annonces/offres/ile_de_france/occasions/?o=1&q=enclume

Thank you for the link. I will be sure to keep an eye on that. 

Crazy Ivan - I think you've hit it on the nose. I'd say 350lbs would be the biggest I could realistically go. Without getting a much larger shop. 

Andy