I Forge Iron

UK solid fuel choices

Greetings all. I'm an amateur blacksmith based on the western edge of Dartmoor. I've got a small hand-cracked side-blast forge which I currently fuel with lumpwood charcoal. Typically forging small stock (8-15mm) into garden, household and tool items - just for our own use and amusement.

I'm looking for other fuel options, both local bulk charcoal and coal or coke. What's available locally that any of you would recommend?

Cordialement

Dee

I started out with a hand cranked forge, it was pretty hard work with coke, not so bad with coal, well easier to keep alight but far more smokey. Dave Budd and John B are both pretty close to you and should be able to advise about the best suppliers in your area. If you have access to hardwood and can get a whole oil drum you could make your own charcoal... once you've done it a few times you should be able to produce decent stuff.

Hi Dee, if you are able to, come along to the Forge in at Exeter this coming weekend and you can see/try the coke we use, and have a play on the forge hearths, or just watch others demoing and working.

Ordinary household coal will work in a hand cranked forge/hearth, just have to learn the best way to manage that particular type and grade of coal you are using, some are better than others.

If you can't get along, we purchase our fuel from Symonds  at Clannaboro near Bow, or you could try Jeffries at Bovey Tracey

• 2 months later...

I must've missed this thread first time around, sorry Dee J!

Dee, I get my coke from Jeffries most of the time (though they are now called Northover Fuels). The nice man delivers around the fringes of dartmoor frequently if you don't want to go down there for a few bags. Like GNCG says, coke is hard work on a hand crank, but charcoal is easy and some folk will mix charcoal with coke to allow it to work more easily. I buy a lot of charcoal from a chap in Somerset for use with my teaching forges and demo set up. If you are after smaller amounts (I buy several hundred Kg at a time) then there may be coppice workers nearby making some to sell and of course supermarkets/Jeffries sell imported stuff (its hard and unpleasent, but much cheaper than good local fuel). I may be able to supply you with small amounts too, assuming its only the odd 20kg here or there, but check out local green wood workers first.

Tam, no idea about sources of coke in Scotland I'm afraid,but I would suggest phoning your local coal merchants and seeing what they have. Also call any nearby smiths and see where they buy from ;)  As to different types and quality, its all pretty crap these days!  Coal, I've not much experience with since I can get charcoal, coke and propane so eaily

• 1 year later...

Does any one know a reliable source of solid fuel in scotland, i usually use coke but i might try coal. Also, are there varying qualities? does it range from place to place?

thanks

Tam.x

​Tam 

Did you manage to find a coal supplier?

I found a supplier when i move home. £295 40*25kg bags. This is for bituminous house coal.Anyone know if this is a good deal?

https://www.coaldelivery.co.uk/fuel-categories/House-coal/British-House-Coal/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyoCrBRCl-aa97pKX_t8BEiQAbrs_9GM3scBdKqHg7M2kRw17LXsfqh07ldKLCGMF2uNaLh0aAkvP8P8HAQ

Edited by Stephen Jones
added a bit

Seems reasonably priced for regular house coal, probably worth getting one 20kg bag 1st and trying it out, unless you burn alot of coal on house fires. Where abouts its scotland are you moving too? There is a company in the borders called pearsons of duns who do various types of bituminous and anthracite coal. 

Peat is useless.

I've used Scottish coal, bought it from Bengry's (Herefordshire), I think I remember that they told me it was the only coal being mined in the UK (??). 

It was pretty horrible for forging, but maybe it was just too big. Coal seems to work a lot better when in beans (bingles?) size.

Bengry's coke is fine. Big horrible clinkers, but that's coke for you. I've yet to come across the mythological "unicorn coke" that doesn't have big clinkers.

For the hobbyist with a hand-cranked forge I would recommend small coal size mixed with charcoal. Lumpwood charcoal with just whatever house coal you get locally. You would go mad worrying about finding "the best" coal. 

Or use propane. 

Edited by Dan P.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...