I Forge Iron

Small cable knife

Teebs

I went back to the first piece of cable that I had forge welded into a small flat piece of stock and made this little one. I etched it in dilute hydrochloric acid and am still playing with the way to get the best etch. I quenched it in oil and tempered in the oven, seems to hold a pretty decent edge. As a side note I use a cheap 1x30" belt sander and while sharpening this knife the belt broke, grabbed the edge of the knife and sliced the edge of my finger, nothing too deep but gave me a scare. I always wear safety glasses but it never hurts to be too cautious! I see videos of 2x72" grinders doing 1000's of feet per minute, I wouldn't want one of those belts to break on me when using it.

post-29745-0-08253100-1380120033_thumb.j

post-29745-0-12311100-1380120132_thumb.j

Ferric chloride at about 1/3 dillution.  A slow etch works best.  It usually takes mine three 10min cycles to get the best etch.  As far as the blade catching.  If you turn your edge into the belt your asking for belt failur.  I know from experience. :o   You can purchase cut resistant gloves that are great for working blades, they can save you a trip to get sewn up. :wacko:

I need to get some ferric chloride, will give it a try next time. And we do have some pretty sweet, thin, cut resistant gloves at work. Would have helped if I was wearing them! Thanks for the advice, this forum is great.

Yup, the ferric is good, I use muratic acid, 50/50 with water, them wash in soda water and dry it right away. You just keep running cycles acid/was/inspect until you get the etch you are after.

I always grind bare handed- the steel lets me know when to quench. Broken belts are a hazard every time at the grinder but part of making knives.

Hang in there- it gets easier and the quality improves.

Dave

If you don't have a 2x72 grinder, sell your cloak and buy one!  They are indispensable around the shop, and for more than just making knives.  Don't worry about the belt smacking you when it breaks.  I've been hit by them and you hardly even notice.  Six feet of belt actually moves quite slow when it pops because of all the wind resistance.  

I really do need a 2x72" grinder, ok I want one! I have a line on one from a buddy's uncle that was heavy into knife making for years then just gave it up cold turkey (they figure depression?). It has been 10 years since any of his tools and knives have been touched! My buddy mentioned if I show up with some cash he will likely sell me as much as I want to buy. I should give him a call....anyone have any ideas (roughly) what a custom made 2x72 grinder would go for? I have not seen it but they say it is very well built and he was a semi pro knife maker for years.