I Forge Iron

LG 50 pound crosshead orientation

I have acquired a 50 lb LG, done a few small jobs like draw out 3/8 by 1" steel for toe weighted horseshoes and seemed OK, but when I started to strike heavily on bigger stuff, the hammer was coming up far enough on up stroke to have the inner slide hit the flywheel. Upon trying to adjust, I believe the crosshead is upside down. The neck that slides over and clamps to the pittman is below the crosshead arms restricting how far I can adjust downward.Pictures I can find suggest but aren't real clear that this is upside down. I can take pics if nessesary, but any comments?

Jack:  I have a 50# LG.  It should not be hitting anything during the entire stroke.  Pictures would help and there are lots of people on this website that can help.  The people at Little Giant are more than helpful if you call them.  Something is not right.  It could be your adjustment of the crosshead when the flywheel is at the lowest 6:00 position. There should be about 1 inch +/- space between the top and bottom dies at the 6 o'clock position.  I had to reverse my crosshead.  It was to low on the pitman and needed to be higher.  So, I turned it upside down, so to speak, and it now sits much higher on the pitman.  Send pictures.  Good luck. 

To fix this on a 50 I rebuilt years ago I trimmed a 1/2" or so off the the rear slide as recommended by Sid, IIRC. It is also possible for the ram to hit the spring (bad).  More compression on the spring will limit ram movement.  If your spring is tired it would be good time to order a new one. I agree, call Little Giant and get their advice.