I Forge Iron

500# Fisher

I just picked up this puppy. Overall it is in very nice shape, minus the edges being tore up from someone torch cutting on top of the anvil. he hardy hole is a little buggered up but it's nothing that cant be fixed. Ive been after this one for a long time and I finally got it. That's a ~150# fisher on the floor in front of it. Once I get the repairs finished I'll be making a nice stand for it.

Thanks for having a look. Matt P.

>gallery_23884_11_60449.jpg

That.... is a big piece of iron.  What're you going to be working on such a large one like that? Ships' anchors?

Everything and anything that I can. I'm sure that it will be a great help with forging down the stock for the Type D axes that I'm working on. When I first started looking for a larger anvil I was not looking for something of this size, just a 250-300lb, but I came across this one and well, I love fisher anvils.

Lovely! 

But more pictures are needed. :)  

How did you come about getting it?  Where did it come from?

Thank you, I'll take some more once It's all fixed up. It belonged to a gentleman who owned a farm local to me. He recently passed and his wife and care taker on the farm knew that I was interested in it. So they brought it down and we'll work out a deal.

Gorgeous!  I absolutely love Fisher anvils, and the way you developed that photo really showcases their wonderful lines.  Congratulations on a wonderful acquisition.

Thank you Sir!

Killer.  Nothing beats a Fisher, except a huge Fisher..  Recently scored a pristine 250lber (which is the ideal size for hand work without heavy striking IMHO) from the 40's and a 375lb sawyer's pattern myself.  It's amazing how compact the saw anvil is without the horn and heel, but I gotta figure it's equivalent to a 500lber in the centerline, and ability to move metal.  Will try to post some pics later.

"Quantity has a Quality all it's own"

My main shop anvil is a Fisher in the 500# range; it used to be the "anvil" for a Blacker powerhammer;

Now go cue up "Sounds of Silence" and get to hammering!

I wish I knew where this anvil was in its previous lives. I did a little bit of forging on it earlier. Man that 3/16 flat stock moves on this thing :)

Matt P

What is the date of manufacture.  I can see it in the picture, but cannot make it out.   

Also, if you ever visit, you can meet the anvil's daddy:  I have the original pattern that made it.

I'll have to take a ride on day. You're not too far from me.

This one is marked 1918

I'll have to take a ride on day. You're not too far from me.

This one is marked 1918

Orange County is about a two hour drive from me.   Also, NJBA periodically holds anvil repair workshops.  They have done about 3 of these and no one has ever had a complaint about what was done.  It is a participatory workshop.  You must help with all the aspects of the job except welding.  They have pros that do that.

that's a awesome anvil and shouldn't be hard to fix..Ive fixed several myself and never had an issue with them..I even completely rebuilt the heel of a little hay budden. that awesome beauty is absolutely worth the effort.

• 1 month later...

Orange County is about a two hour drive from me.   Also, NJBA periodically holds anvil repair workshops.  They have done about 3 of these and no one has ever had a complaint about what was done.  It is a participatory workshop.  You must help with all the aspects of the job except welding.  They have pros that do that.

That is very good news. Thank you!

You take such awesome photos. They look so professional! That anvil looks monstrous. Congratulations!!

Thank you Sir.

mine came from a RR shop 

Interesting. I asked about mine and nobody really knew.

gonna need a bigger stump!

Yeah I need to make a proper stand for it still.