I Forge Iron

UK Coke prices

I have recently been offered washed and graded coke at £200 per ton. Does anyone think this is a good price? Apparently the quality is very good.

Should I load up?

Johnnie.

If it is good forging coke then the price is good, if it is coke for other purposes it may not be so attractive, until you try it, you won't know for definate.

When it says graded, what size is it graded at ? That may give a clue as to its use,

Most of the forging coke comes from one company in the UK known as Monkton beans/singles or other name bearing variation, and is a by product from the chemical industry in the UK owned by a French group I believe.

Currently we are paying £525.00 per tonne, delivered and bagged in 20kg bags

As Owen (Basher) said, you get used to it and get on with it, its not 'bad' just not as good as it could be.

If it is good forging coke then the price is good, if it is coke for other purposes it may not be so attractive, until you try it, you won't know for definate.

When it says graded, what size is it graded at ? That may give a clue as to its use,

Most of the forging coke comes from one company in the UK known as Monkton beans/singles or other name bearing variation, and is a by product from the chemical industry in the UK owned by a French group I believe.

Currently we are paying £525.00 per tonne, delivered and bagged in 20kg bags

As Owen (Basher) said, you get used to it and get on with it, its not 'bad' just not as good as it could be.

Hi John I am not to sure on the quality or bean size although a friend of mine is using it everyday in his forge and says its fine. A contact of his has bought two thousand tonnes of the stuff which his is grading and washing. 

I will get 250kg for £50. For that if its crap I will mix it up with the anthracite I am using at the moment.

Can't be worse than the crap I am using. Talk about clinker. It burns dirty too making welding a nightmare.

Not going to the UK until next month so will keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

Just been to see my friend and bought only six bags.

Whilst forging with him I couldn't belive how much of the coke was used. Lots.

To be honest it doesn't seem to be great quality. Dirty and bags contained bits of plastic and other debris.

Mobs and mobs of clinker too. 

Plus side was the bean size. All about 20mm which was nice and 3 days of working with him.