I Forge Iron

Arrow heads.

I have been making arrow heads..... and getting back into archery again, this time with the long bow.
 I will be going for an informal assessment at the guild of traditional bowyers and fletchers at the end of the month, with the aim to  (hopefully) become a master arrow smith next year ....all being well.
 They are tricky little buggers to make and I am finally getting there (I think).....Defiantly a back to school kind of thing.....
 Here are a few swallow tail arrow heads.
 3 finished and 2 in the rough.
 4 of them are bloomery material and one is twisted damascus.
 cheers.
9666254316_ac0ee454a0_c.jpg

Could it just be a triangular piece of flat stock to start. Two chisel cuts to make the spurs on each side and the middle section is fullered out wide and rolled into a socket?

I suppose the spurs have to be bent out of the way while working the middle section. Just a guess.

Impressive. I know the kids at the 4-H archery class I help teach would love to see you forge some of those. I'm still working on getting sockets down small enough consistently. I wouldn't even begin to try and do broad heads like that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...