I Forge Iron

Frankenstein Hammer 4,000# 9' tall 150# tup @ 180 BPM

Looks like the hardest possible way to go about building a hammer to me. Whoever built it has good fab skills for sure, but why build the ram guide in 3 pieces when a single unit would need 6/8 bolts instead of 12. Why weld gussets around the stacked anvil discs?They do nothing. Pillow blocks for the foot treadle?.....over engineered. One heck of allot of effort went into this beast, I hope it runs well after all that..... B) 

Seems like a simple and functional "tire Hammer" would have been much easier to build, smaller, probably more reliable, and work better than this thing. Stacked plates make a dismal anvil. And whats with the arrow holes cut into the hammer head? to look cool and make the head much more likely to bend or brake? I also have a very hard time believing that hammer will work steel 4" thick like claimed.  

And the chicken lays the egg, that rolls down the ramp, that knocks over the candle, that lights the fuse, that pops the firecracker, that scares the mouse..........that forges the metal? I wonder why it has so much unguided ram? a 25" stroke maybe? Sure is pretty to look at, though.

I've seen similar plans for a hammer somewhere, but I can't remember them right now.

I'll disagree with him as to the cause of the weld failure however. I think it's not really due to "metal fatigue" but more a case of simply poor welding. That weld looks too shallow and doesn't look to have penetrated well. The other welds that I can see also look fair at best.

I do like the arches at the top. It adds a nice "antique" look to the piece.

Seems like a simple and functional "tire Hammer" would have been much easier to build, smaller, probably more reliable, and work better than this thing. Stacked plates make a dismal anvil. And whats with the arrow holes cut into the hammer head? to look cool and make the head much more likely to bend or brake? I also have a very hard time believing that hammer will work steel 4" thick like claimed.  

I've seen similar plans for a hammer somewhere, but I can't remember them right now.

I'll disagree with him as to the cause of the weld failure however. I think it's not really due to "metal fatigue" but more a case of simply poor welding. That weld looks too shallow and doesn't look to have penetrated well. The other welds that I can see also look fair at best.

I do like the arches at the top. It adds a nice "antique" look to the piece.

Looks like an awesome, ok, interesting hammer. There is a claim, however that it is "the only one that can be disassembled and moved by hand. " I built mind with that specific asset in mind. I also made special heavy duty casters to move it short distances and removed easily but, not planning to stay in this place, I wanted to be able to move it without help if friends were "busy" on move day. That was 12 or 13 years ago. Still here and friends still "busy" on move day :D

I agree with the weld fail. Clearly a cracked weld. Not cracked steel. I have seen guys weld some stuff so shallow that it cracked as soon as it started to cool.

Also, I have to disagree that stacked plates makes a "dismal anvil". If done right, it makes a very passable anvil (see link) they were put under 70k pressure and after welding it made a nice ring that created a solid vibration from one end to the other.

p.s. sorry for for highjacking thread. :)

I commend him on his ability to envision, plan and then create a working piece of art. How many people in this day and age can do that? Not many! Could it have been more simplistic and functional? Probably but, he built what he wanted and it works.

I agree with this. Given that the builder is a student I applaud this work and innovativeness. There's a lot going on in that design sure & a huge amount of hours & effort has gone into this build.

It's all down to learning and what experience the student takes from the project. I'm sure in years to come there will be those "what was I thinking" moments but sure we've all been there. It's all about learning and taking something from it.