I Forge Iron

Fired up in Cadillac, Michigan

Dan Zak

I am just getting started in blacksmithing and forging. I'm building my first forge right now . I am using a piece of railroad rail for a anvil until I find one . I have good size area in my barn to set up shop. I have been cruising some of the forums and taking in info . It great to see everyone sharing their knowledge and tips . My goal is to make some ornamental pieces and possibly get in to making knives and hatchets . I guess I will let the iron show me what creative path to follow. 

Make the sparks fly

Zeke

Greetings Zeke,

Welcome to IFI...  I have a small shop in Cadillac for my winter pleasure..  My big shops are in Lake City aprox 25 miles NW..  If you need some help get in touch..  Been smithing for 38 years and most likely could give you a hand..   Did you get to Black Iron Days at Hartwick Pines last week end?  I demoed for 3 days..  Do you belong to MABA?  If not look us up on the net.. MIBLACKSMITHS.ORG.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

JMC,

I looked at some of your work on your website . I like the damascus knives you are making. I get to Alabama about once a year on a fishing trip so on my next trip I will see if I can stop by and shoot the breeze with you. 

Thanks

Zeke

Welcome aboard Zeke glad to have you.

Getting together with other smiths will teach more than many times faster than trying to figure it out yourself. I know I'd sure like a chance to visit Jim, its a bucket list thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Thanks for the welcome. Being new to smithing and such I thought I would have to travel long distances to find some guidance and classes  but as I do more research it turns out there are a number of talented folks in the area. And sites like IFI with people with common interests sharing info hopefully will help me learn that much quicker 

Zeke