I Forge Iron

batwing hatchet

Hi All,

forged this hatchet up last week. I call it the "Batwing hatchet". head is a hefty 2.25#, so it does the work for you. chops and splits well, I will have to try and throw it...

Let me know what you think. You can see what else I'm working on, on my Facebook page-under "Cergol Tool and Forgeworks"

Aaron

post-2151-0-00753200-1377309675_thumb.jppost-2151-0-19726400-1377309854_thumb.jppost-2151-0-12496700-1377309895_thumb.jppost-2151-0-64063400-1377309940_thumb.jppost-2151-0-44485800-1377309979_thumb.jppost-2151-0-03250100-1377310018_thumb.jppost-2151-0-62303800-1377310079_thumb.jp

Thanks all for the compliments.

Forgd from 4140; 1.75" diameter by 4" long. I forged the barstock to rectangular, than slit it. Drawing out the body on axes and hatchets is always fun, as it goes quite quickly and you can control every aspect of the shape. I drew out the body with my main forging hammer-a 4.75 pound octagonal faced hammer with a radiused face. I rough forgd the "wings" in over the horn, and with a fuller, taking localized heats. The edge was somewhat forged in, then ground the rest of the way.

Why 4140? I've had good luck with it for tools lie this in the past, and it was available on my shelf. Normally I would have used a mild steel, or wrought iron body and welded in a steel bit for the edge. I prefer to start with rectangular barstock too.

Aaron

Oh I like that very much, love the lines on that axe head, very well finished. Top work fella

I'd really love a crack at this sometime and spend time with someone who would be so kind enough to show me and guide me through the making of an axe head.

You only have to show me once, I learn very fast lol!  

Thanks all. I've gotten more into axe making lately, so the process is ever evolving. 

Dave-glad to hear you like the hammer. :) getting used to the heft?

HS-learning from someone else is surefire way to learn how to do something, but not necessarily the best way. If you're just doing this as a hobby, I'm a huge fan of trial and error-sure it'll be frustrating, but you'll learn the most efficient way-for *you*. This is how I learned...I know10 ways to not make an axe, but 3 really good ways. After you've got a good grip on the concept, then go to someone else, and try out their way. Then you won't be set in stone a certain technique. nuff said. 

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I've gotten more into axe making lately, so the process is ever evolving. 

Dave-glad to hear you like the hammer. :) getting used to the heft?

HS-learning from someone else is surefire way to learn how to do something, but not necessarily the best way. If you're just doing this as a hobby, I'm a huge fan of trial and error-sure it'll be frustrating, but you'll learn the most efficient way-for *you*. This is how I learned...I know10 ways to not make an axe, but 3 really good ways. After you've got a good grip on the concept, then go to someone else, and try out their way. Then you won't be set in stone a certain technique. nuff said. 

Aaron

Oh thanks very much Aaron. That's very encouraging.