I Forge Iron

Found something of my great grandfather's

Unfortunately his anvil was sold a while back, but while my Dad was back home visiting the farm he did find this book, published in 1918. I already know most of the stuff that it covers, but it is really cool. Hopefully I can get back to the farm and see if any of his other old blacksmithing stuff is still there

It's kind of fun reading through this thing, times certainly have changed quite a bit

post-42989-0-95154400-1377053350_thumb.j

post-42989-0-01781100-1377053722_thumb.j

That's very cool. I only have a couple things of my Grandfathers's. Yeah, that's not a typo, one thing from each Grandfather, gold pocket watches. How's that for coincidence?

Best of luck on the tool hunt. I'd love to have something one of my grandfather's used professionally though one was a federal judge. His gold pocket watch is probably something I can identify with.

Frosty The Lucky.

If I put together a shopping list like that for today it comes to $2870 (107 times the price) up from $26.80 in 1918

interestingly the hardie tool has increased by a larger percentage than the anvil and forge

hardie tool..................$60   240x price increase
gas forge.................$800   150x
anvil 95kg Odwyer..$1050   130x
hammer.......................$90   90x
drillpress 25mm max.$400   90x
big cast bench vice...$270   70x
2x tongs......................$50   70x
tap and die sets........$150   50x
......................total...$2870

not really sure what that says, I mean about the price of blacksmith tools, not what goes on in my head.