I Forge Iron

soderforge anvil

I got this soderforge anvil today. The top still looks in a good condition, the sides are hammered full of little holes, which i dont understand, almost destroyed all the markings. Your oppinion is gladly appreciated. On the one side the date is poorly visible ........19?? I cant make out the restpost-45425-0-40414500-1377018608_thumb.jpost-45425-0-59128600-1377018696_thumb.jpost-45425-0-14354800-1377018973_thumb.jpost-45425-0-48055300-1377019023_thumb.jpost-45425-0-54466800-1377019149_thumb.j

Looks like a good one.  Soderfors made good stuff, and the face is as good as you could ask for.  The holes and such on the sides are typical.  A lot of smiths would test the temper of the punches and chisels by striking them into the anvil.

She's taken some abuse, chipped edges are not uncommon on Soderfors, they're darned hard and it looks like punch, chisel, etc. testing on the sides. I see 198lbs. Great size and she has a few more generations of life in her. good score!

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks like someone ground a little on the top. Shouldnt be an issue I dont think. 

Ive got a 200lb sodofers and really like it. They will ring like crazy but if you mount it right (bed of silicone, a chain wrapped around the waste) they quiet way down. 

I put my Soderfors on a steel stand and virtually eliminated the ring. On a wood block it'd make your ears ring through plugs AND muffs, it's brutally loud, especially if struck on the horn or heal.

Frosty The Lucky.