Svarog. The battle Slavic axe

The
battle   Slavic axe   “Svarog”.

Weight 700 g.     Edge width 130 mm.

The body is

mild steel.   The edge is wrap welded
with 0.9 carbon steel. Pure forging.  No
grinding involved

The eye is egg saheped and intended for self-wedged handle.

The hole in the middle of the blade is for sheath fixation with a small wooden pin

post-12722-0-67902000-1377017297_thumb.j

post-12722-0-20516900-1377017314_thumb.j

post-12722-0-86937600-1377017326_thumb.j

post-12722-0-14715100-1377017338_thumb.j

very impressive, dancho!   especially for forge only.  beyond my skills currently.   did they use the back side for hammering also?  or is that a handle reinforcement?  Does that type of socket use a wedge in the handle or is there some other method?

very impressive, dancho!   especially for forge only.  beyond my skills currently.   did they use the back side for hammering also?  or is that a handle reinforcement?  Does that type of socket use a wedge in the handle or is there some other method?

Thank you! Yes you can use the back as a hammer substitute .  At least I do it for drivng wood pegs or such when camping with this type.  No wedge in the handle.   It's is a self-wedged handle type.   Bigger on the top and you put it throught the upper part of the eye

Beautiful as always.  May I ask what the symbol represents? 

For me this is sun rolling across the sky above the earth.  Nothing else.   No mystics. No religion.  No  ideology. Just life on the earth as it is.

Dancho,

I am a fan of your work. A few months ago, I made a small axe so I could try to make the eye with the two elongated spurs on top. I dont know if that is a good description but you probably get the idea. To do this,I slit and punched the eye so that there was about a half inch or so of material above the slit. This gave me enough material to pull the spurs out as you have done.I opened the hole and inserted a cold bar . This gave me an "internal anvil" on which I could easily pound the heated top and move the metal to form the spurs. Is that the techniques you use? I believe you said you dont weld other than the steel for the bit.

Good work!

Dancho,

I am a fan of your work. A few months ago, I made a small axe so I could try to make the eye with the two elongated spurs on top. I dont know if that is a good description but you probably get the idea. To do this,I slit and punched the eye so that there was about a half inch or so of material above the slit. This gave me enough material to pull the spurs out as you have done.I opened the hole and inserted a cold bar . This gave me an "internal anvil" on which I could easily pound the heated top and move the metal to form the spurs. Is that the techniques you use? I believe you said you dont weld other than the steel for the bit.

Good work!

Yes, you can work on a drift inserted in the hole.   But I prefer working on the anvil horne since it gives more control and things work faster.    Leave more material for the butt -- at least a ful inch above the slit