I Forge Iron

Metal Source, Austin Texas?

Also, you HAVE to hook up with the ABANA group there== www.balconesforge.org is their site. Meetings are open and they love new folks coming in. Our youngest son and family live in Buda and we plan to be there in a couple weeks for the grandson's #2 B-day. But I have never tried purchasing material in the area. There are a lot of goods smiths down there so you should be able to find materials and smiths fairly easy.

Btw, welcome to IFI.  If you will update your profile and put in you general location it sure would be nice. Helps up possibly put you onto a "good" deal sometime.

Thanks for the Balcones Forge plug Thomas.

Kraythe,

Balcones Forge is a great group.  Many of our members are in the Austin area.  We will be meeting this Saturday at 11:00 at the Hays County Barbeque restaurant in San Marcos.  Due to the heat, we will not be doing any forging.  We will have a membership meeting and following we will have a board meeting.  We have Mark Aspery coming back next spring for our Bluebonnet Demo.  We usually have workshops during the week prior to the demo.  He is requesting that we have ten forges up and running for the forge welding workshop.  Developing a plan of action to get these done will be the main topic of our discussion.  It would be great to see you there and any one of us would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.  Friends and family are always welcome too.

Jerry

Thanks for the Balcones Forge plug Thomas.

Kraythe,
Balcones Forge is a great group.  Many of our members are in the Austin area.  We will be meeting this Saturday at 11:00 at the Hays County Barbeque restaurant in San Marcos.  Due to the heat, we will not be doing any forging.  We will have a membership meeting and following we will have a board meeting.  We have Mark Aspery coming back next spring for our Bluebonnet Demo.  We usually have workshops during the week prior to the demo.  He is requesting that we have ten forges up and running for the forge welding workshop.  Developing a plan of action to get these done will be the main topic of our discussion.  It would be great to see you there and any one of us would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.  Friends and family are always welcome too.
Jerry

I am sorry I couldn't come but it was just impossible with work. I need to get my forge back up and running first as I haven't been in the shop for months. I am just a hobbyist anyway, not an expert or anything. I am sure you guys would all cream me in ability.

Sorry you weren't able to make it.  We do have a few smiths in the group that do it for a living.  The majority are hobby smiths.  Don't be afraid to attend because of your ability.  They are a great bunch and will happily answer any questions that you might have.  Make plans to attend the October 26th meeting.  I will be hosting in Devine, Texas.  It will be an all day event with FOOD, FORGING and did I say FOOD.  The weather should be getting cooler and we will have a good time.  The demos will revolve around the Frederick Cross.  There are a lot of variations and we will have several smiths there to show you how.  There will be plenty of open forge time.

Oh heck yeah what Jerry said!! If having to be a 'professional' to be able to attend a meeting I would never be able to go!  I have never been to a blacksmith related event where I felt inadequate. This community is so gracious to over help. You are encouraged to even 'get in the fire' for hands on instruction.  Sorry work got in you way for this last meeting but do try to make the next one and all the rest you can make. If you are like most folks, it is MUCH easier to learn by watching then doing than it is to read and then do.

Jerry, I am always happy to plug you guys at Balcones! great bunch of folks.