I Forge Iron

Skiving Knife

K. Bryan Morgan

I started making a skiving knife today.  If I'm going to be making knives, I have to work with leather and a good skiving knife is a critical tool to have. I could have just as easily bought one but this is much more fun.  I have a large piece of bandsaw blade from an old wood sawmill.  I got it cut to shape and ground out.  Then started the tedious task of sanding all the rust off.  I got the handles roughed out and the pin holes drilled in the handle and in the blank. Then go it sanded to 800 grit.  I don't know if I want to go much further.  I don't have a buffer.  Its on the list though.

post-9027-0-16208500-1376377578_thumb.jp

post-9027-0-11323600-1376377593_thumb.jp

post-9027-0-90102500-1376377609_thumb.jp

Well it took longer than I wanted it to, but I've gotten it almost finished.  I need to do a few things yet.  Put a finish on the handle and get some small scratches out of the blade.  And sharpen it of course.  The Gorilla Glue Epoxy I used isn't visible, it dried clear which is nice.  Its the five minute setting type.  I understand I should use a longer drying time glue but its what I could get.  Not a huge number of choices her in the hinterlands of Alaska.

post-9027-0-19184100-1376789341_thumb.jp

post-9027-0-32420300-1376789351_thumb.jp

Nice start.  I always tell people to use what you make that way you know if it's good or not.  I hope that blade works for you.  I've seen people say it's L-6 or some other tool steel.  The first ones I got (about 100lbs worth) didn't test out too well. It acted to me like 1070.  I found a faint name stenciled on a peice and sure enough, with a litte research I found it was basically 1070 and not some exotic alloy.  My little knife I use for the leather work was a blade made from a band saw that was used for cutting steel I beams.  It was some awesome stuff, that source changed the blades they were buying however and the ones they are buying now aren't near as good.  Look forward to seeing the finished knife.

Looks good, I'll show you the one I will be working on after I get more propane since I am out, I am using wagon wheel Iron for the handle and a cable damascus blade.

Thanks.  Its coming along.  We went into town and I dun forgot to get the durn tongue oil.  grrrrrrr.  I hope to see progress on your version soon.

Nice start.  I always tell people to use what you make that way you know if it's good or not.  I hope that blade works for you.  I've seen people say it's L-6 or some other tool steel.  The first ones I got (about 100lbs worth) didn't test out too well. It acted to me like 1070.  I found a faint name stenciled on a peice and sure enough, with a litte research I found it was basically 1070 and not some exotic alloy.  My little knife I use for the leather work was a blade made from a band saw that was used for cutting steel I beams.  It was some awesome stuff, that source changed the blades they were buying however and the ones they are buying now aren't near as good.  Look forward to seeing the finished knife.

Thanks JM.  I don't know exactly what it is.  I was told either L6 or 15N20 by the gentleman who gave it to me.  He believes its 15N20 by the way it works.  He's got a ton more experience than I do so I'll take his word for it.  He's an excellent bladesmith.  Anyway, its extremely hard and tough.  I can't even get a file to touch it.  So I figure as long as I don't get it to hot I shouldn't have an issue with heat treat or temper.  I'll have to work on it tomorrow as my time for the rest of today is limited.