I Forge Iron

Forge ideas anyone?

Tbates

Find a gas grill that is being discarded.  Remove and scrap the grill section and bolt a sheet of steel across the opening where it went.  Cut a hole in it for the firepot and mount that then go around the edges bolting angle iron to it for a fence....

Knowing what your skill set in general is would help. Some of my clients would have issues building anything with cardboard and tape, let alone wood or metal.

I can envision a dozen ways to make this work. As mentioned some plate and bolted angle would work for the table ( points for mentioning bolts as my 1st thought was welding...) My forge has sat for over a year on a set of relatively inexpensive steel folding saw horses I bought at Lowes. I chose them while I decided what to use for legs because they allowed me to break the forge down and store it in a minimum amount of space. A few pipe flanges and some threaded pipe would also be an option.

I could easily see making a frame and legs from ( GASP) wood. Chances are you wouldn't get the table hot enough if you were careful and if push came to shove, some concrete tile board would make a decent insulator between the wood and table. I bet you could use two layers over plywood and build the table from that if you had no other choice as long as you kept the pot away from the wood.

Your pot is most likely cast. I would NOT weld it unless you really know what you are doing to prevent cracking that really nice pot. This would also make it easier to break down the forge if need be.

You can probably make the table fairly light, say out of  some thing as thin as 14 ga, if you make sure there is enough support to hold up the pot. If you are short on metal working equipment and experience, a simple 1/4" plate would support it without a lot of extra bracing I'd imagine. You might even be able to get by using 3/16" or 1/8" if the sides were made of angle bolted to the top and stiffened the whole thing.

A classic look can be achieved with a 32" square table, with a 1 1/2 to 2" liip, apropriatly cut out to mâch the Natchez in the fire box. This table can be steel, say 1/16" if supported underneath, 1/8" if only supported by the legs. Or brick, granit tile, or such inflammable material that won't be easily damaged by drooping your work or tools on it. A second 32" square table next to it at the hight of the rim of the forge, of inflammable me material makes a great place for tools and materials.
By no means is their a "right way" or a "best way" it's what you have and want. As Most Peaple don't stay on one place more than 5 years or so (your family is an obvious exception) I tend to discourage masonry forges.
Place the forge table and the anvil at about the same hight, say fist high. If you plan to do a lot of work with a sledge and striker, you would go to the classic first nuckle high. Don't forget to research side draft hoods and vent stackes. You really want the forge under cover as rain and fly ash will eat your fire pot up.

post-42888-0-81890100-1376403203_thumb.j

post-42888-0-35361700-1376403285_thumb.j

couple of photos to give you some ideas. No Idea where the first one come from but it is the same firepot as yours. Looks a bit crowded (and clean)

second photo was a temporary forge made in a rush for a demo day. Its just light sheet metal folded up and bolted with 2 inches of sand chucked in the tray, this pot is home made and has a flange at the bottom. it needed a flue for smokey ol coal but the dimensions are OK. I have shoveled some of the sand out  so you can see the tray, its about 3 foot square.

I like the 4 burner BBQ idea, I would widen the tray it a bit with a metal shelf along the front for some extra room and replace the cheap tiny plastic wheels with some solid foam filled wheel barrow tyres.

Thanks Charles. You've given me a lot of good information.
Yahoo2, those are almost exactly what I'm looking to build/find. We have an steel sanisafe table here at work that's missing the legs. Sound like a promising start to you guys?

Absolutely, a SS table will work great, look if you want it upside down for the lip, or go dumpster diving foe bed frame for angle to bolt to it for a lip. When you cut out for the pot, don't make the hole to tight, the pot will expand when hot. Legs can be made from bed frame also, or pile and floor flanges even salvaged two drawer filing cabinets. We'll make a scrap hound out of you yet..

The gas grill was suggested for a *Moveable* set up as was requested.  Massive desks tend not to be save under Army definitions (If it doesn't take explosives and a duece and a half it's moveable!)  The frames often need bracing which can be bolt on as well and replacing the wheels is a good idea too.

I mentioned bolting as a weldor will instantly recognize that they can weld it whereas a non-weldor may not realize that bolting will work.

Do NOT fit the firepot too tightly; leave room for different rates of thermal expansion.  However my basic rules for projects:  Design  for the materials, tools and skills *you* have!