I Forge Iron

Rivet set

Looking for a good quality pneumatic rivet set.  I know ingersol is a great tool, i'm just curious if anyone knows of a good quality set up with tooling.  Or does everyone just make the tooling for their air hammers?  I usually do them by hand, but i wan't to get a quick, quality rivet without marking up the parent material.  I've worked around the "jitterbugs" that the ironworkers used, but i'm not looking to spend a grand on one of those.  Any info or experience with a good set up will be very helpful.

Thanks

Brian

Greetings Ironstein,

Aircraft mechanics commonly use rivet sets..  I have fond many at flea markets and swap meets..  You can look on eBay for ones with a 401 shank that fit most pneumatic hammers..  I have used a long barrel Ingersol for many years and have been quite satisfied..   Good luck on the hunt

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Brian I have lots of these and there is more too it than you think.    There are two sizes of "small" guns the most common being the .401 shank.  this is what the little body zip guns are.  Most of these guns do not have much power or very good throttle control.  To get into a real rivet gun you need to go to the .0498 shank.  These are the "Aircraft" riveters and the length of the body corralates to the size.  In the Chicago Pneumatic they are 2X, 3X and 4X with 4X being the most powerful.   You can get these with a gooseneck handle or a pistol grip ( I really like the gooseneck)    With one of these you can do up to maybe 1/4" in soft steel and 3/8" aluminum.   From there you start getting into the "real" rivet guns.  The next step is tools with a .998 shank which is obsolete then 1 1/16" bore is the next common one.   This is the best all around small gun as you can do everything from about 3/16" to 3/8" steel and you can use if with custom tools for forming and forging.    The CP-40 is really the one to get.    You want to make sure if you seek one out that you find a Riveting hammer, not a Rivet buster.   A rivet buster has no throttle control, they take the same tools but its on/off when you key the trigger.  A rivet hammer has real nice range of throttle control.    If you get up into the big tools like they use structural rivets for they use 1 3/16 shank tools,      Just stay away from the chipping hammers (the .580 shank tools) and if you get a chance to run it feel what the throttle is like.       If you are going to go look for one let me know.   A friend of mine is the VP of the largest air tool company in the US and he gives me good deals on these things...