I Forge Iron

Quenching to north?

i think it must be true ... that is why the Japanese Katana is bent as it is, the magnetic field pulls the tip back North as they keep it vertical with the edge facing south. Of course it needs de-magnetising afterwards to stop it from turning straight again when facing the other way.  :P

PS

The Kriss on the other hand can be achieved with rapid movements during quenching .... ok ok that is too much :)

1 hour ago, Marc1 said:

The Kriss on the other hand can be achieved with rapid movements during quenching .... ok ok that is too much :)

Those are quenched under the aurora of course. Don't be such a silly bugga, everybody knows that mate. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

The Aurora Borealis does not show up this far south (St. Louis).

(oh yeah it has been seen during extraordinary rare huge, solar storms).

I miss it.

I could read a newspaper at 12.30 A.M. by the light of the Aurora in The N.W.T, Yukon, northern Man., Ont., & Que. ages ago.

Sigh.

SLAG.

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I thought the Kris was done by taking beginning smiths' helical blades and breaking them apart and forge welding sections together?

Just like they did in that one movie! What was that called.... king of the loop.... duchy of the wedding band... cant quite put my finger on it... ah well, im pretty sure i dont even know what im Tolkien about anymore. 

Actually if you think of it there could be a good reason for the legends of "super swords" being welded from the broken fragments of other swords.  Why did they break in the first place?   Probably because the carbon content was too high or heterogenous  for their heat treat and use.  What happens when you forge weld a billet?  It loses carbon and tends to even out what was present through carbon migration...

Nothing magical just basic MatSci...

21 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Why did they break in the first place?

Because they didnt temper it in the light of a hunters moon on the eve of Wodens Day after fresh snowfall! 

Seriously though, thats a good point, Thomas. Plus more welding means more impurities removed/reduced. Homogeneity all around, really.  

Say all you want ... I like the idea of quenching a blade whilst moving it fast side to side and produce a Kriss due to the earth magnetic field ... mm ... come to think of it you would need to move it side to side real fast when it is still hot ?  I'll ring the producers of forged in fire, they would know for sure :P