I Forge Iron

Forge finished camp knife

Brad L

I started out making this knife for destruction testing but now it become my woods knife. The blade is 5160 triple edge quenched. Guard and pommel are wrought iron cord wrapped handle. The handle is soaked in fiberglass. 12" over all length, around 8" blade. What do you think?
DSCF6506_zps5842a3bd.jpg
DSCF6507_zps71e481c5.jpg

Brad

Without getting into the story I just want to thank the people who got Iforge iron back up and running. I don't post a lot but I do spend time looking at all the cool projects on here and learning from all the other Blacksmiths. 

To me one of the acid tests of a blade maker is whether they actually field test their work. I mean give them a work out and see how they hold up and if they do the tasks intended. That means they care about their product...nice looking knife....Hope it is all you wished it to be.

To me one of the acid tests of a blade maker is whether they actually field test their work. I mean give them a work out and see how they hold up and if they do the tasks intended.

Don't worry she has had a rough life so far. I have been chopping slab wood (2x4 I can sell) Nothing like dry white spruce knots to test an edge. I'm just going to stop my testing before the vice and pipe :)

The old Neo Tribal metalsmithing meme was to have less than 10% stock removal on a knife

I did not know there was a percentage assigned to call something forge finished. The knife was fully forged but I ground the bevels and edge down. I guess I can always fall back and call it a "redneck letter opener"

To me one of the acid tests of a blade maker is whether they actually field test their work. I mean give them a work out and see how they hold up and if they do the tasks intended. That means they care about their product...nice looking knife....Hope it is all you wished it to be.

Very true. You should have seen the look on my nephew's face when I finished the.rough file work on his knife and beat it on an anvil! He said what are you doing and I said "If it breaks now do you want me to finish it so you can have it? He looked at me and then I told him that you have to test a knife for its intended purpose and a little beyond. The look on his face was Great!